ginger beer... to peel or not to peel???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skint_golfer

Reaction score
Righty hoo....

I'm looking at different ginger beer recipies using fresh grated ginger but none state wether it needs to be peeled or not first.

what would you guys suggest?

my first attempt was an adaption of the river cottage recipie that I adjusted to fill a demijohn however I cocked it up a little on the quantities so have ended up with a pretty potent (12%ish) ginger wine instead!

it was using peeled ginger and is a perfectly clear,light yellow colour. I'm aiming for cloudy lemonade appearance and 5% next time!

thanks.

I didn't bother. When you are faced with two pounds of fresh ginger the last thing you want to be doing is peeling!

You're going to boil it up and let yeast loose on it, it's no culinary masterpiece! :thumb:

calumscott said:
I didn't bother. When you are faced with two pounds of fresh ginger the last thing you want to be doing is peeling!

You're going to boil it up and let yeast loose on it, it's no culinary masterpiece! :thumb:

Agreed - I have never peeled the ginger :thumb:

Brilliant! the peeling bit was my only concern... I'm a lazy git at times!..... but I'll stick with the excuse I didnt know what nasties were in the skin lol

Back