Golden Ale Not clearing....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arch41c

Reaction score
Brewed my very 1st kit and although I listened to advice about initial fermentation I went with the kit instructions regarding secondary fermentation.

The kit in question is the St Peter's Golden Ale and it said warm condition for 2 days and then move somewhere dark and cool until blah blah blah, it's now been sat in the cool garage happily doing it's thing, it's got a nice head on it, tastes 'ok' just its hazy, not dark or patchy enough to call them clouds ;).

Now will it clear down sloooooowly in the cold or should I consider moving it back to somewhere warm to clear down and then back to the cold to mature???

It might take a little longer to clear if there's still some sugar left. What's the hydrometer say?
Cold is the way to get the yeast to drop clear, but warm is the way to get it to finish fermenting! See what the gravity is first.
As for conditioning, I think it's best to leave the beer a good few weeks before sampling on this kit, as the yeast is a bit acetaldehydy.

Hydrometer said 1006 and I'm confident it had finished fermenting, just concerned that it has yet to clear after 2 weeks whereas my lager was warm conditioned and cleared in 5....
Though lager is bottled and the ale is in a PB

Different yeasts behave differently, so it might be a type that's slow to flocculate. It's also quite a low gravity for a 3kg kit. Nevertheless, cold is the way to get the yeast to drop out. Also, a little pressure works too, as you've noticed with the bottles!

If you're keeping it in secondary any longer, make sure it's under airlock, as you don't want any oxygen getting to it.

I did one some time ago and it didn't clear even after 2 months in cold

Ahh well it tastes ok so I suppose I'll let its flavours develop and drink out of old fashioned stiens :)

How it's currently looking, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396807327.291336.jpg

Latest posts

Back