Grain mill motor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bulldog roller mill that I have been using for a while with a 18V drill. Now that I am doing much bigger batches I am milling upto 20kg each batch and last batch burned out my drill, I guess its from prolonged use at very low speed (I use a tie wrap to hold the trigger slightly down so it is rotating as slow as possible). I bought another drill but this is something I use a lot and dont want to destroy my new one. Does anyone know of a good motor for a grain mill? It would need to be fairly high torque and low speed.

Thanks

Jeez, that's a lot of grain for a small drill. Would something like a windscreen wiper motor be any good? High torque, low speed.

I bet @Buffers brewery could come up with an answer ;)

I think you need one of those drills for mixing artex/cement and paint if I remember they are low torque. I had to get one to use on a car lift I had as a normal drill would burn out. It is some years ago but I got mine from Machine Mart I think

Thanks for the suggestions so far

Would something like a windscreen wiper motor be any good?
That sounds like a good plan. I might even have one in the garage, if not I could try to remove one of a car Im about to get scrapped.

I think you need one of those drills for mixing artex/cement and paint if I remember they are low torque
Another good option, my only concern is the speed might be a bit high... If anyone has tried this it would be good to know if it works

Cheers

Do you have a large garden 😅
7836AFE8-7823-4821-A75A-798A78771F92.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestions so far

That sounds like a good plan. I might even have one in the garage, if not I could try to remove one of a car Im about to get scrapped.

Another good option, my only concern is the speed might be a bit high... If anyone has tried this it would be good to know if it works

Cheers

I bought one of these drills (a Silverline one from eBay) for my own bulldog mill. Not got round to installing it yet because it doesn't have a chuck, it has a screw on the end, the website says "M14 X 2" so I'm still figuring a way to attach it

Latest posts

Back