Gravity Reading from a Fermzilla?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get another one of the screw cap ball lock valves like the ones on the zilla, short line 50cm or so with two ball locks on. Then screw the new ball lock valve onto a 500ml pop bottle.
Pressure ferment and the use that pressure to dispense.
I also do the reverse to fine my beer.
Mix with boiled cooled water and add more pressure than the zilla is at. Connect up to the gas Post on the fermzilla and the extra pressure sends the mix in.

For what it's worth, I bought my Fermzilla all rounder to improve my NEIPAs. I ferment mine at about 2 psi and take samples via a party tap on the liquid out post as you describe (if I don't use my ispindel). With that and completely closed transfers, I improved my NEIPAs massively. In particular, the fresh taste is retained for much longer.
When you say “fresh taste for longer” so do you notice a drop off in flavour after a while?

Get another one of the screw cap ball lock valves like the ones on the zilla, short line 50cm or so with two ball locks on. Then screw the new ball lock valve onto a 500ml pop bottle.
Mix with boiled cooled water and add more pressure than the zilla is at. Connect up to the gas Post on the fermzilla and the extra pressure sends the mix in.
Now thats a good idea as i have all the equipment to do that thanks

When you say “fresh taste for longer” so do you notice a drop off in flavour after a while?
Perhaps at the last couple of pours from the keg - it's hard to tell as I didn't make great notes. But i am night and day from where I was with this style. I should add that I am cracking into the Fermzilla to dry hop so my oxygen ingress isn't completely eliminated.

I either do this, or if I can’t be bothered I just take a sample with a turkey baster or add finings and purge with c02. Never had any issues tbh.

Another question, what are the advantages/disadvantages of fermenting under pressure?
Well apart from opening a can of worms advantages nil, apart from brewing an NEIPA, disadvantages the yeast doesn't perform as well. Applying pressure when a couple of points shy of final gravity is more advantages, fermenting will carbonate the beer allow for transfer to keg.

Well apart from opening a can of worms advantages nil, apart from brewing an NEIPA, disadvantages the yeast doesn't perform as well. Applying pressure when a couple of points shy of final gravity is more advantages, fermenting will carbonate the beer allow for transfer to keg.
So there’s no real advantage to the wort? Apart from carbonation.

I didn’t intend to ferment under pressure but was curious as i will be brewing a NEIPA in the next few days, but only plan to ferment at around 1-2psi.

Another question, what are the advantages/disadvantages of fermenting under pressure?
Yeast behave differently under pressure, and you get different flavours as a result.

In commercial breweries which have tall tanks the yeast ferment under similar pressure due to the weight of wort above (10m height of water/wort is equivalent to an atmosphere of pressure). Breweries have had trouble keeping a consistent flavour when changing short squat fermenters for tall ones in the past.

Depending on what flavour you are after, this could be an advantage or a disadvantage.

Talking about pressureI have noticed adding pressure at the end of fermentation seems to speed clearing.

I have a batch in my snubnose which I fermented with Nottingham yeast.

Fermented very quickly and mostly dropped out. I dont cold crash but usually just leave it alone for 3 weeks. I wanted to get this brew out of my fermentation fridge so a few days ago I turned of the power so it would cool slowly from 20 deg C.

As it cooled I didnt want it to suck the contents of the blow off bottle so I removed it and added some pressure with the CO2.

I noticed the sediment on the sides at the bottom seemed to drop out quickly as I watched as I added the pressure.

Every day Ive been giving it a gentle swirl and adding the pressure. Every time the little sediment there is starts running down to join the cone of traub at the bottom.

I dont know if it speeds things up but it does look to to my eyes?

buddsy

So would keeping a positive pressure of 1 - 2 PSI have any significant effects on fermentation?

I didn’t intend to add C02, just maintain a positive pressure through the C02 build up from the fermentation.

Back