Hop advise needed pls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently ordered a couple of kits from the good folk at KegThat, one was a Neck Oil clone and the other was a Crisp NEIPA kit, both all grain by the way.

Anyway, i recieved a call from them to say they didn’t have the hops or yeast for the NEIPA. I asked if they could substitute the hops and yeast for a suitable alternative and they agreed. I really wanted to brew a Neipa so was over the moon, but when I received my kits they had actually substituted the Neipa for an English ipa, so no Neipa for me. I’m not having a go at KegThat cos when I rang them they were very helpful and apologetic which was nice cos i probably contributed to the confusion and was partly to blame.

The very nice “Kath” at KegThat agreed to substitute the hops and yeast and send me the Crisp Neipa. The hops were Citra to replace the out of stock Jarrylo and US-05 yeast.

My concern is that the supplied hops for the kit seem to me to be very sparse for a Neipa, which most of you know is usually heavily hopped. Take a look at the grain bill below for what was meant to be supplied as I’m pretty sure the bottom 2 dry hop additions should be 4gms per litre of wort and not just 4gms which is what was supplied.

BB73614F-BB72-4E39-BB21-5FDF6BB8E199.png

Am I reading that correctly and it should be 4 gms per litre?
As i said, I’m not complaining as Kath even told me to keep the English ipa which was very kind of her.

Yes, that is 4g per litre. Just 4g will not even touch the sides, flavour wise. Contact them again as that is clearly a mistake.

Yeah that's a pretty significant mistake. I understand mistakes can be made and the desire to remain calm and kind, however I would also expect someone who owns a homebrew supply shop to not make multiple significant mistakes like this.

Yes, that is 4g per litre. Just 4g will not even touch the sides, flavour wise. Contact them again as that is clearly a mistake.
I’ve sent them an email earlier as being sunday there will be no one manning the phones, but they’ve been very good to deal with so although it’s disappointing and silly mistake, it won’t put me off dealing with them in future.

Latest posts

Back