Greetings from a forum (and brewing) novice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0xonian

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone and greetings from the glorious Cotswolds.

I'm new to the forum - and to brewing. So here to learn and improve.

Last year I decided to have a go at making elderflower champagne - the first time i've ever (intentionally!) brewed anything, and by happy chance ended up with something half decent. I am currently in the process of brewing this year's 5 gallon batch, improved with the addition of some raspberries and a few sprigs of mint.

I still don't know what I'm doing but whatever it is, it seems to be working. I've taken a reading after 8 days of fermentation of 10.31% ABV and am ready to bottle with a little in-bottle priming.

My tipple of choice is real ale and I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with some excellent local breweries (Wychwood, Hook Norton) and a lively craft brewing scene.

Cheers!

My tipple of choice is real ale and I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with some excellent local breweries (Wychwood, Hook Norton) and a lively craft brewing scene.

Cheers!

Welcome! Wychwood, you lucky you! You already have a book about fermenting and brewing?

Spent a few happy years living just outside the Cotswolds in / around Evesham. Worked in Chipping Camden for about 18 months. Really lovely part of the world. Must go back for a visit sometime (outside of tourist season!). Welcome to the forum BTW

Welcome to Valhalla.
Before you bottle, what have you brewed that's come in at over 10% in a week? What did you put in it? What gravity does your hydrometer give? Not 1031, I hope.

Before you bottle, what have you brewed that's come in at over 10% in a week? What did you put in it? What gravity does your hydrometer give? Not 1031, I hope.
ha! Thankfully not! I panicked a little when the hydrometer plummeted straight to the bottom of my testing tube to give a minus reading so the head brewer at Wychwood (who is a pal and drinks in my local) very kindly offered to test a sample for me in his lab. He reported that the 50ml sample gave a reassuring pop when opened and reported the findings as follows: RI: 38.46; PG: -4.56; OG: 72.96; ABV: 10.31%

The recipe I am following is from thebrewersdroop site and calls for 1 pint elderflowers & 1 kg brewers sugar per Imperial Gal/4.5l water to give ~10% product. To this I added 300ml grape juice concentrate, a sachet of Lalvin EC1118 champagne yeast, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 tsp citric acid, 1 tsp tannin (cold brewed tea from a teabag). Last year's wine was a little on the dry side so this year I also added a small punnet of fresh raspberries (frozen overnight to concentrate flavour), 200g chopped raisins and a sprig or two of mint from the garden, (and a dash of pectolase to combat fruit haze). I left the must to ferment for a day before adding the picked elderflowers on day two. Then left it to stew away at room temperature for 8 days.

I now have to decide whether to filter and rack to secondary containers (I have enough 5L PET carboys) or to go straight to bottling with a little in-bottle priming to up the ABV to 12% and to increase the carbonation (I'd like some classic champagne string-of-pearls small bubble fizz but not so much froth that half the contents are lost on opening - and obviously no bottle bombs!) I have some proper champagne/prosecco 75cl bottles with corks/stoppers & wire cages and also some 50cL Grolsch-style flip top bottles.

My concern with bottling straight away is that last year this didn't go too well using the basic auto syphon I have. I couldn't get a vacuum, it sucked up all the gunk anyway and what I didn't spray all over the kitchen or myself I ended up drinking directly through a 2' long straw (which was interesting!) before giving up completely and just pouring into the bottles, sediment and all. Still tasted ok though and I finished off the last bottle last week, which still had a decent fizz to it.

I would welcome advice on racking vs bottling and how much brewing sugar to prime with (I think erring on the side of caution would be wise - e.g. 4g/L?). Should I add some metabisulphate to clear the solution if I re-rack? I would guess not as this might kill off the yeast and secondary fermentation/carbonation?

TIA,
0xonian

Back