Greetings from a newbie in Lancashire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawsinho

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have joined the forum after being gifted a Milestone homebrew kit for chrimbo from my beloved other half. We already had the first setback when I, like a child, set out to use my new gift on christmas morning only to realise it had been packed without the sterilising powder. Once the tears and tantrums had subsided (and 48 hours so that I could buy some steriliser) I started my initial kit, a lions pride which came with the setup.

That has now just been transferred to a king keg for secondary fermentation and also so that I could start a kriek kit which was also given as a gift. I'm pretty sure I've guffed this one up because of letting the yeast solution get too hot, but I'll no doubt find out over the next 24 hours.

Anyhoo, looking forward to picking other posters brains and getting to know you all over the coming 'brews'.

Regards
Lawsinho.

:cheers:

Welcome! You van only bugger up pitching temp if its hot enough to kill the yeast. If its on its way to room temp when you pitch, you wont get any bad flavours from it.

Hi Rob,

I heated up the yeast solution to around 25 degrees but then (like a muppet) left it in the same pan whilst I waited for the wort to cool. :doh:

I'm pretty sure it went over 35 degrees before I chucked it in but like I say I'll no doubt find out in the next 24 hours...

I have a spare Irish stout kit waiting, can I use the yeast from that if this is goosed?

YoungJames said:
Where abouts in Lancashire? I am from Bolton originally and there is the Spitting Feathers shop there.
I'm in Burnley. I have the Burnley homebrew shop on my doorstep and they seem to have a great rep and be very helpful.

lawsinho said:
YoungJames said:
Where abouts in Lancashire? I am from Bolton originally and there is the Spitting Feathers shop there.
I'm in Burnley. I have the Burnley homebrew shop on my doorstep and they seem to have a great rep and be very helpful.

Nice one!

Crisis averted! Massive foam on the wort last night and lovely brown patches today! :D

Close call!

Latest posts

Back