Growing Hops from Seed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Whilst adding the aroma hops for my brew this evening I noticed, I presume seeds floating on top of the bubbling wort.
Had a google about growing from seed and they need several days on damp tissue in the fridge.
Has anyone had any success in collecting seeds from dried hops and germinating them? Or are they hybrids? Or treated in some way whilst drying?

I priced up rhizomes at £4.99 plus P&P, just thought it would be nice to have Fuggles growing up the arbour, but would they be too pungent by the garden bench?

Cheers Sean

The seeds you get in commercial fuggles are a lot bigger than the ones I get in my home grown ones. . . . but I do think that they are hybrids so are unlikely to be true to type. . . also you have the issue that hopes are Dioecious having male and female plants . . . which means that 50% of your seeds if they do germinate are going to be male and no use for brewing.

You are much better off finding a fellow brewer who has hops growing and would be willing to give you a chunk or two of Rhizome . . . . You can do this up until April . .. you can do it later but are less likely to get any crop in the first year. . . . Don't know where you would find such a brewer though :whistle:

Thanks for the info Aleman. I read one of your post from back in November where you were kindly offering rhizomes from the clumps you were splittings, but thought I'd missed out on the offer?

Aleman said:
You are much better off finding a fellow brewer who has hops growing and would be willing to give you a chunk or two of Rhizome . .

Bugger reading this as just reminded me, Ive not planted mine yet :oops:

yes they do, I was clearing away an overgrown patch for my hops on next doors garden and found wild hops ithe hedgerow :lol:

I guess you wouldn't see the plants in hedgerows until July,August when they flower. Must have look out for them when getting this years blackberries.

Note that you are best ordering bare roots from A PLus in December or January . . . . They will take your order (Charge your Credit card), lift the hops after the first frosts in November/December and then ship . . . I'm getting 3 brewers gold this winter :party: :party:

If you were to pick just one hop to grow what would it be & why? I am going to go over to the dark side soon & I am changing my back garden to grow more things I can eat or use & was thinking of using some space for hops

Back