Growing hops, recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukula

Regular.
Reaction score
I´m about to order some hop Rhizomes for growing my own hops. The only experience i have doing this, is growing hops of the incorrect sex. So the plant grew nicely, but there were no hops.. So! I know the plants grow decently here in Norway..

Not sure about what type to grow tho.. I enjoy IPAs and Porters/Stouts.. I want a good allarounder. It would be a bonus if it grows well in colder climates..

Any recommendations?

Well, here in the US, we grow Cascade and Centennial. Both are fantastic for APAs and AIPAs. They both do well with our cold harsh winters in northern Wisconsin. We make sure to cover the ground well with mulch after harvesting in the fall. What type of spring/summer temperatures do you get there? Our summers can get quite warm here and these hops survive that as well.

I don't have any experience on growing them, but I'd assume that with rainfall and sun you'd do well with hops that grow in the West of the UK. I'm giving a go at Brewer's Gold and it seems to do well. Probably many of the more modern British ones: challenger, target, northdown, pilgrim, etc., would be good.

phettebs said:
Well, here in the US, we grow Cascade and Centennial. Both are fantastic for APAs and AIPAs. They both do well with our cold harsh winters in northern Wisconsin. We make sure to cover the ground well with mulch after harvesting in the fall. What type of spring/summer temperatures do you get there? Our summers can get quite warm here and these hops survive that as well.

Cascade seems like a great idea.

The summers in Norway can get really warm. However, when the winter first hits, it gets really really cold, with a whole bunch of snow (you know, stereotypical Norway, without the polar bears and reindeer).

I guess the summers are somewhat similar to England.

Could you treat them like dahlias and dig the rhizome up when the plant dies off and replant when the snow thaws?

sam.k said:
Could you treat them like dahlias and dig the rhizome up when the plant dies off and replant when the snow thaws?
I don't think hops rhizomes like to be dug up.
I believe you could try insulating (spellcheck keeps changing to insulting!) them over winter, maybe with a layer of compost?
I have just started growing fuggles, goldings and challenger in London - they are reputed to dislike clay waterlogged soil - both of which I have, however they all started sprouting (a month late!) and seem to be flourishing.

Brilliant! Thanks for the feedback. I guess ill just give it a shot! Its probably Too late to order Rhizomes now tho...

Latest posts

Back