Growing Hops??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all.

My 2nd year EKG has got about 4 good sprouts from each of the root nodes from which the 4 shoots I allowed to grow last year.

Should I allow only 4 total shoots to grow from the whole root stock, it can I have 4 shoots from each node?

Thanks

Ahhh, so it is more about the amount of light that the individual vine gets on the string rather than the strength of the root-stock?

So, if I have it growing along the top of a fence and can grow it left and right, could I arguably have 8 shoots growing?

Thanks for the answers. It really helps my understanding of how best to cultivate them.

I am going to begin growing hops for the first time this week. Perle and Hallertauer on order.
aduge4yn.jpg
I have prepared this set up . Any thoughts?

I'm afraid not. We have the metal pole that you can see in the back ground to give the height. All the stuff was cheap in Wilkos. The idea is that it.creates plenty of grow ruin and in the height of summer will create a natural sun shelter.

Robbo, bit of both. 4 bine's per string allows light and air to get to the plant, and 4 bines per rootstock ensures that the roots can support the bines with enough minerals. You can grow 8 shoots (over two strings) but make sure you supply enough Nitrogen and Potassium (N & K anyway) around the end of June. Tomato feed with more N and K than P is good throughout summer.

If you're growing in pots (I'm growing in 4 gal buckets) you'll need to feed more and let fewer shoots grow, but if it's in the ground the hop has a better chance of supporting more bines.

Consider pinching out the first few racy shoots anyway.

Hope this helps.

I grow in pots and plan for this year (year 2) to have 2 bines per string, 2 strings per pot.
The EKG is already flying... nearly a foot of growth already. Target and Bramling X both lagging well behind at this point!

DA

Have I missed the boat on planting some hops this year? I'll be growing them in Hampshire so plenty of sunshine.

Hallertauer and Perle gone in today. We have a real slug problem in our garden so I have put egg shells down. Any other thoughts?

used coffee grinds for slugs, a night time scourge with a head torch works wonders

evanvine said:
You've not missed out, this is traditional rhizome planting time!

Thanks! I just ordered some Challenger and Cascade. Looking forward to seeing these beauties grow during the predicted heatwave!

I've got 1 year old EKG and Prima Donna hop plants that have started to sprout and I've freshly planted a cascade this week. I'm up in Lancashire, so not sure how well they will do. I've recently moved to a new house and I think I have found a good spot for them. I'm toying with the idea of erecting two large poles and suspending rope between them as my trellis. Not sure how to do it yet, but I've got some ideas.

Latest posts

Back