Growing Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hops need light as opposed to heat and do benefit from the latitude, think Kent, Worcs. This is why they are not grown in Southern Europe. As for growing in a greenhouse...have you ever seen a fully grown hop plant, it will fill a greenhouse.

I've been thinking of growing a few hop plants this year. I'd like a couple of staple English varieties suitable for English IPA's and because I'm gradually becoming quite fond of the hoppier craft beers, I'd also like to try a US variety.

Any suggestions?

I looked into this about 5 years ago and finally went for Target (bittering) Challenger (dual purpose) and Progress (aroma). If you are growing in your back garden then you should really go for a dwarf variety

I looked into this about 5 years ago and finally went for Target (bittering) Challenger (dual purpose) and Progress (aroma). If you are growing in your back garden then you should really go for a dwarf variety

Thanks Johnny, that makes sense.

I have in mind a retaining wall on the boundary of my garden that's roughly south facing. It's about 3m (9ft) high and 6m (18ft) wide with good loose soil all along its base, which I've used for growing various veg over the years.

Is this adequate?

Hi guys, I'm new here and I grow my own hops, my Fuggles is now in its third year and I also have a Prima Donna which will be its first year. In theory they will go straight up 30 feet ish (not the Prima Donna though) but the way that I grow them is to train them horizontal along 8 foot bean canes like you would runner beans, works a treat and much easier to harvest. The fuggles last year went to around 20 feet and produced 750gms, not a lot but this year (3rd) I am expecting a mega amount as it is well established now.
Feed them through June and July and harvest August, very exciting when you see them all developing, mmm.
Making me thirsty thinking about it !

Hi guys, I'm new here and I grow my own hops, my Fuggles is now in its third year and I also have a Prima Donna which will be its first year. In theory they will go straight up 30 feet ish (not the Prima Donna though) but the way that I grow them is to train them horizontal along 8 foot bean canes like you would runner beans, works a treat and much easier to harvest. The fuggles last year went to around 20 feet and produced 750gms, not a lot but this year (3rd) I am expecting a mega amount as it is well established now.
Feed them through June and July and harvest August, very exciting when you see them all developing, mmm.
Making me thirsty thinking about it !

That sounds good to me, cheers. I think I'll get me some.

You can train hops horizontally, and they will flower. The only trouble is, is that the plant will send out lateral stems. these lateral stems will produce flowers, just not as many as if they were grown vertically. I know its just about impossible to build a 30ft high structure, so sometimes you have to make do with what you've got. Hops can also be grown through a tree, but think about the viability of harvesting. There is a method of "root pruning" them, so they are more like a dwarf variety.

Also, once you have an established hop plant its easy to increase your stocks by taking cuttings from them. Early in the season when they are growing strong snip off one of the not needed growing shoots (its best to keep three of the strongest for the harvest) and cut it just below a journal with a clean sharp knife, push it into fresh compost, water well and keep it out of direct sunlight and after a couple of weeks will have taken root. The first couple of years will be taken up building their root system so slower than buying the rhizomes but a good way took increase stocks if your not in a hurry !

Progress on the hop farm [from left: prima donna, prima donna, nugget]

hops 2504.jpg

Yeehaa, looking good, are you keeping them in the small pots ? If you are I can see the reasoning as through the years will spread underground. I see you have raised beds, handy, you could plant the Prima Donna in a separate bed to the Nugget and plant straight in the soil with no fear of them mixing themselves up, mine are in open ground as they have to compete with the wife's raspberry's which also spread underground :D
Yours look well away, my Prima Donna is well behind after a sever attack by our slimy slug friends, so the little blue pellets had to be spread around, pinkies crossed on that one.

Regards

I was going to buy some rhizomes last winter but left it too late so must get round to it this year. Plenty of room here so I'd be looking at full size rather than dwarf varieties.
But so many varieties to choose from...

thanks guys. Yeah I was planning on keeping them in the pots, partly to limit their growth & partly to keep their roots warmer. I started them in a sunny spot in my garage, before planting them out, which might be why they have shot up. The nugget is halfway up the string already.

Been looking for threads on growing your own hops as it's something I plan to do this spring. Was wondering how the progress is growing on this thread? I had noticed someone saying that hops are not grown in southern Europe but they are grown in León and Cataluña which are not as hot as southern Spain. I'm just a bit further south of León (Castilla) and have been told that as long as I keep them watered and not let them get too hammered by the sun they should be OK. It has been recommended that I plant Cascade as they can handle the heat better. Any road, I was looking for some tips on soil types and water if anyone has any?
Cheers :)

Been looking for threads on growing your own hops as it's something I plan to do this spring. Was wondering how the progress is growing on this thread? I had noticed someone saying that hops are not grown in southern Europe but they are grown in León and Cataluña which are not as hot as southern Spain. I'm just a bit further south of León (Castilla) and have been told that as long as I keep them watered and not let them get too hammered by the sun they should be OK. It has been recommended that I plant Cascade as they can handle the heat better. Any road, I was looking for some tips on soil types and water if anyone has any?
I think where you are is fine, hops are grown commercially in hot places like California and Australia, but as you mention might be good to get a variety developed for hotter weather like Cascade. I've read a few different opinions on soil, but loamy soil seems to be what is preferred. I grow my hops in London and Kent, the former of which has clay soil apparently and they grow fine. I think it's more important they get enough sunlight and water.

I think where you are is fine, hops are grown commercially in hot places like California and Australia, but as you mention might be good to get a variety developed for hotter weather like Cascade. I've read a few different opinions on soil, but loamy soil seems to be what is preferred. I grow my hops in London and Kent, the former of which has clay soil apparently and they grow fine. I think it's more important they get enough sunlight and water.
Great thanks! what type of water do you use? Distilled or just plain old tap water??

Great thanks! what type of water do you use? Distilled or just plain old tap water??
I've always used rainwater as I save it in water butts, but when they've run out I've just used tap water. The water here is very hard, but I really don't think it's something you need to worry about when it comes to watering them, any water will do!

Hops are pretty hardy plants and can quite easily take over in the right conditions. They will need some help getting established but after 2 or 3 seasons will be very hardy. I planted a saaz in almost full shade by mistake in its first year, it grew but not huge and got no flowers. I dug out the rhizome and moved it into the sun, left a few small woody strands of rhizome in the soil, it grew back next year!

I've always used rainwater as I save it in water butts, but when they've run out I've just used tap water. The water here is very hard, but I really don't think it's something you need to worry about when it comes to watering them, any water will do!

Hops are pretty hardy plants and can quite easily take over in the right conditions. They will need some help getting established but after 2 or 3 seasons will be very hardy. I planted a saaz in almost full shade by mistake in its first year, it grew but not huge and got no flowers. I dug out the rhizome and moved it into the sun, left a few small woody strands of rhizome in the soil, it grew back next year!
Yeah the water here is very hard too! I tend to use bottled for brewing because of the chlorine content of the tap. I have a couple of plants that will only take rain/distilled water so I'll do that with the hops too. Only problem with rain water is that it's quite scarce here! haha so I think distilled is the best bet.

Apart from the weather the another important part of a hop growing district is the latitude, the daylight hours influence the hops, I think I have read somewhere this impacts on the taste also.
If you get a frost and cold winter that is another plus, here in Australia home brewers grow hops even in places which is unsuitable, so I would give it ago. Pointless growing in pots they will escape from them and the main rhizome will be outside of the pot and they will spread if you grow more than one variety keep the well apart.

Apart from the weather the another important part of a hop growing district is the latitude, the daylight hours influence the hops, I think I have read somewhere this impacts on the taste also.
If you get a frost and cold winter that is another plus, here in Australia home brewers grow hops even in places which is unsuitable, so I would give it ago. Pointless growing in pots they will escape from them and the main rhizome will be outside of the pot and they will spread if you grow more than one variety keep the well apart.
Great, thanks for the tip about keeping them apart, I was thinking of planting Cascade & Chinook so will keep them away from each other :)

Latest posts

Back