Growlerwerks 3.8 l pressurised growler - any good

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence R

Reaction score
Hi all
I’ve set up a “pub in a fridge” in an outhouse where I brew - two cornys and CO2 in an old fridge with an inkbird and a couple of taps. Beats bottling by a country mile. Only issue, if I fancy a beer on a cold dark night it’s - find the keys, climb over the dogs, schlep across the yard, pour a pint then reverse the process. Solution seems to be a growler and the pressurised growlerwerks 3.8L looks the business. But it’s hellish expensive at just under 200quid.
anyone got one? Any good? Does it look like it will last? Your views much appreciated.
PS no I can’t just move the pub in a fridge indoors. Suggested that, didn’t go down well.

Does seem expensive for such a small volume.

Plenty of places do pressurised 5L and 10L minikeg like these from Dark Farm, I'm a complete convert and have 2 x 10L ones. The kegs themselves aren't that expensive, its the tap/regulator. I've just got the one top and swap it between kegs whilst one is conditioning, I've got a Dark Farm top and keg and a 2nd keg from another supplier, the tops seem universal as it fits the 2nd keg https://www.darkfarm.co.uk/mini-keg-draught-systems/

Does seem expensive for such a small volume.

Plenty of places do pressurised 5L and 10L minikeg like these from Dark Farm, I'm a complete convert and have 2 x 10L ones. The kegs themselves aren't that expensive, its the tap/regulator. I've just got the one top and swap it between kegs whilst one is conditioning, I've got a Dark Farm top and keg and a 2nd keg from another supplier, the tops seem universal as it fits the 2nd keg Mini Keg Draught Systems
That’s really helpful. Thanks

To be honest, if it were me, I would just go with a basic 5L keg. Granted, you may end up needing a couple of extras (thinking mini regulator, CO2 bulbs, extra tap), but given you have cornies already, much of this is interchangable given both use ball lock (unless your cornies are pin-lock) disconnects. Also, the 5L kegs can, I believe, be stored on their side in a fridges as the diptube is flexible (on mine it is anyway).
This would save yo £80 and you can use all the parts on your existing keg setup: 5L MiniKeg Party Kit
All that said, it doesn't look nearly as good as the Growlerwerks aesthetically, but in my opinion, that is where the hefty pricetag comes from.

I should say, I have no knowledge of how the Growlerwerks works, but I don't see removable tap or regulator, so am assuming it's all fixed in and thus parts not interchangable with existing setup.

That’s most helpful. Another member made a similar suggestion and I’m looking into smaller kegs. Agree the growlerwerks gear looks the business but I just want convenience

Latest posts

Back