Hands up, who needs a fermentation fridge!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajsparky

Reaction score
Not only am I struggling to maintain any kind of reasonable constant temps my ready to drink stock is being hammered in a quest to stay thirst quenched:drink::p

Lol, yes, I need one. I was going to do another wheat but as it just happens to be a few degrees cooler than the surface of the sun here at the moment :rofl:, I'll wait until I get my new shed up and fridge installed. I seen a larder fridge today on gumtree for £30 :razz:

To be fair I've brewed in most temperatures and never had that cause a bad beer. It might have been different, more fruity or drier depending on the weather but never undrinkably bad. I think Graham Wheeler somewhere says that once yeast is going it manages to a large extent to self regulate its own temperature.

To be fair I've brewed in most temperatures and never had that cause a bad beer. It might have been different, more fruity or drier depending on the weather but never undrinkably bad. I think Graham Wheeler somewhere says that once yeast is going it manages to a large extent to self regulate its own temperature.

I hope so cornyandy! Did an IPA at the weekend that's going like the clappers!
It's in the cupboard under the sink crammed with ice blocks that I am changing morning afternoon and night. Forgot to bid on a fridge/freezer at the weekend that went very local for £12.50.....:doh:

Free cycle. There must be a fridge or freezer available near me every week.

I've got a larder fridge and a chest freezer :cool:

The freezer is not as good as the fridge though as it is 'bouncy'. It's designed to chill big volumes rapidly so it cools so quick that the stc1000 has to switch to heat mode, then it quickly warms because it's warm outside and the freezer kicks in again. It would probably be better to unplug the light bulbs I use for heating, set it for .5 degrees too high and let it over cool and the gradually climb back.

Anyway, get a fridge and do proper lager.

I managed to pick up a nice beer fridge with a glass door for £36 off eBay. One assembled STC later and it's a fully functioning beer fridge. It's not as expensive as you may think and you could definitely find a larger one if you like.

I built both mine for less than £40 each.

The first is a big larder fridge with an STC1000 running it along with a 60w greenhouse heater off eBay. This is so big, I changed it's use and it's now got 3 corneys in it with 3 taps bored through the front door so it's now kegerator.

The other which is the main fermentation fridge is just a small hotpoint one that's just big enough to get a 30l bin with airlock in on a small frame again, with a 60w greenhouse heater. This one is running Brewpi. It's free to download and I put it on an old laptop with about £10 worth of parts from Amazon.

Scour freecycle and preloved.co.uk. Took me few days each time but I got them.

Temp got up to 23deg in our dining room yesterday. Just so happens the door on our current fridge refuses to stay shut. We've got a new one arriving today so the old one will be in the garage with a hasp and staple keeping the door shut.

i ended up paying £35 for one from gumtree. I needed one urgently and missed out on a few. needed one without the freezerbox to fit my coopers FV in. once I got it home though I realised the lid makes it too large as it interferes with a bit on the side that juts out where the light and thermostat is.

annoying. But a "standard" youngs FV fits in there, so will use that going forward and swap my FV/bottling bucket system round.

doesn't help the beer already in there, so I am just resorting to the wet towel method to keep it cool, and its steady on 20c so thats OK.

I use an ATC800+ temp controller with a 50W vivarium heating cable as the heating source. I must be a 'posh ****' :nah:

I picked up what I thought was an ideal fridge off FreeCycle (it even came as a pair with a freezer too), only to find that it was a 'built-in' variety that wasn't as tall as a standard under counter fridge, so my FV wouldn't fit in!
I'll keep on looking.
The temp controllers are only about £10 on eBay so I should be able to set up a brew fridge for under £20, just need to clear some garage space.....

Latest posts

Back