Hazy Beer on Food Unwrapped Tonight (2nd March 2020)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkula

Landlord.
Reaction score
Coming up in this thead something you're interested in but first some things you're not. Now before the bit you're interested in let's remind you about the bits you weren't...

Oh sorry, got carried away with the show format:

20:30 channel 4 Food Unwrapped "How do brewers make their trendy hazy beers cloudy?"

Is it as straightforward as just not using finings?
I think achieving permanent haze can be quite a bit more complex that avoiding kettle finings.

In saying that, plenty oats and wheat malt would get you a good bit of the way there.

I wish I never missed the show, saw the bit about hazy beer at the end of the last episode. Might have to look for it on demand if it’s any good?

7AE3055C-0490-4E40-92BB-DE3B3CAF9372.jpeg

I don’t ever use finings and my beer is crystal clear after a couple of weeks conditioning. I have just made my first hazy IPA and as @Ghillie said lots of oats and wheat in the grain bill:

3.8Kg Pilsner
900g flaked oats
600g flaked barley

As this is my first hazy IPA I don’t know how well it will turn out, but a promising looking start (I think!) as I put it in my fermenting bucket.

Might have to look for it on demand if it’s any good?
It really isn't worth it.

The section before the ads had someone from Camra say "Sometimes beer is cloudy because it's the end of the barrel. Maybe you should ask a brewer about the actual thing you're asking."

The brewer in part 2 said "It's protein." and that they add oats and wheat and the polyphenols in the hops stick to it. Then they said they didn't filter it out.

The End.

I watch almost every show but do it in about a 5th of the time and just forward wind through. They've got about 6 lines of pertinent information per show.

View attachment 23371

I don’t ever use finings and my beer is crystal clear after a couple of weeks conditioning. I have just made my first hazy IPA and as @Ghillie said lots of oats and wheat in the grain bill:

3.8Kg Pilsner
900g flaked oats
600g flaked barley

As this is my first hazy IPA I don’t know how well it will turn out, but a promising looking start (I think!) as I put it in my fermenting bucket.
I rarely use finings either. Unless I am brewing an imperial beer. Finings can help the yeast from becoming inhibited in a beer with a large grain bill.

No, because finings mostly drop out yeast and the haze in good NEIPAs etc does not come from yeast. It seems to be mostly an interaction between protein from the grist and hop polyphenols, particularly from southern-hemisphere hops - but it's complicated.

For a grown-up discussion, albeit a little old, see http://scottjanish.com/researching-new-england-ipa-neipa-haze/ - including a non-hazy beer with 17% oats...

Latest posts

Back