Heating elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Nordic stockpots have arrived :party:

Actually they came yesterday, but I'm stuck with a flu bug, very underwhelmed and I need to plan my next course of action.

I have the cash to go out and get a couple of 15mm ball valves, tank connectors, now here's where I'm stuck, heating elements.
After buying the previous I could afford just Argos kettle elements. I have a 20mm and 38mm Qmax cutter.

My thinking is fit Argos elements for now, then tickle out the holes with the Dremel and fit Backer elements later.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated :?

Cheers sean :drink:

I used these 3kw heaters

here

they take smaller holes

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Think I'm going for a couple of THESE. I had to buy a extra long lead for my old boiler so thinking of sticking to the PC type connector and would be easier getting leads in future for them.

Anyone know if these use a km8 thread?

Would one be okay doing a 80ltr brew :wha:

Cheers Sean

I have tesco kettle elements in mine and they are working a treat - 4 brews so far. Both switched on until a rolling boil is achieved then I switch one off and this keeps a rolling boil (32 Litres wort). I do clean them with citric acid after each boil to remove any buildup of **** etc.

Seem to be going around in circles :?

So sticking with plan A, going to get four cheap kettles, then I'll upgrade to Backer elements at another time :roll:

That looks great . . . Was just thinking that I could use one for boil sanitising my cornies . . . unfortunately it' only has a 30cm immersion depth :evil: . . . Just have to keep looking for a 21" long immersion Element then :hmm:

does it have to stand on the bottom of the keg? if you have the keg full to the top you could just leave it suspended halfway into the keg.

or you could also just fill the keg with enough water to cover the element. Then the rest of the keg will be steam sanitised if you close the keg as much as possible

My idea was to use the element as seen here in diy versions
heatsticks.JPG

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/heatstick-boils-too-hard-solutions-180920/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/anyone-use-240v-4500-5500w-heatstick-218301/

Tesco/sainsburies kettle elements with 38mm Q/max cutter should be fine, maybe a little 'tickle out with a file. 1.5" cutter (38.5mm) is spot on for the job. I disable the safety cut out which is easy to do as I've had elements in the past that cut out mid boil (on an Electrim boiler that was actually manufactured for the purpose). It's element was sealed and I was unable to disable the safety cut out, so replaced it with a tesco job (£5). Even with the safety cut-out disabled, there is a fail-safe to stop house burning down/electrocution. If boiled dry, the plastic parts melt resulting in contacts being broken, but not before you've melted your plastic bucket a bit. :( (from experience). In a s/steel vessel shouldn't be an issue, you develop your own safety methods, ie. don't even plug in until elements are covered

I am just starting up beer brewing again after a long lay off, the price of beer is starting to squeeze the pension. Whilst the cider has turned out great, you can't beat a decent pint of draught.
However, I digress. Having investigated the stockpot boiler route and all the messing about involved, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a new Burco Boiler, this cost £127.00 including delivery on Ebay for a new 3Kw 30 Lit boiler with concealed element and safety lid.
When compared to the cost of a decent stockpot and all the other bits and pieces, this don't seem to be a bad deal. Or is it :hmm:

Jebrug I got two of THESE, I need to fit a ballvalve, £11.99 in Wickes and some type of elements :wha:

Just filled three cornies today and started 10gallons of WOW so I'm in no hurry ;)

I hunted high and low for a decent sized stockpot, the biggest I could find was 24 Lit. Although I did get some elements that I tried out in a plastic bucket and they worked fine, but I got a bit nervous with the plastic softening around the element holes :whistle: However, the elements were cheap on Ebay £2.50 each plus delivery 2 = £8 and they came complete with sealing gasket.
Still, at least the Burco will hold its price when my widow sells it. ;)

Regards
John

Not bad Value . . . but the 40L Buffalo Boiler from Nisbets works out cheaper than that . . . and it has a proper thermostat rather than a simmersat :oops: sorry

Back