Heating oil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bitten the bullet, and ordered 1500 litres heating oil. This is the total capacity of a tiny wagon, which is the only one that can get down our narrow lane. Total cost inc VAT is £1580. 😭
Just curious, how long would that last you? Our predicted bill for next year's gas/elec is nearly £3k .

Just curious, how long would that last you? Our predicted bill for next year's gas/elec is nearly £3k .
1200 lasts me a year but it's a modern house with log burner and hot water is off electric. It's a large 4 bedroom house but the rear is near all glass and South facing so traps the heat off the winter sun well.

We use 3000 litres per year. A close neighbour has an old 5 bed stone farmhouse that has underfloor heating and he uses 1000 litres per month in winter! Then there is electric as well.

Ours is £1,971 £164-25p per month, then there is the rise in October, our fixed tariff ends in May so i don't know what will happen on 1st April, advice is to take meter readings and pictures on 31-3-22 so you have evidence of your usage

Hi Foxbat take meter readings 31-3-22 as evidence of your usage, do not except predictive or estimated they will screw you over
That's good advice, I do try to take a reading approximately monthly so their algorithms have more data to make a prediction. We live in a big house but it's well insulated and we had new windows last year. Working at home during the last two years has of course meant the heating's been on all day in winter rather than just mornings, evenings and weekends.

As summer is approaching it will only be used by the AGA, which does all our hot water and cooking, so should last 8 months or so. When we have the central heating on as well that’s another matter. We probably use about 3000 litres a year for our 4 bedroom stone built old farmhouse, plus an enormous amount of logs for the wood burner in winter.

Since we're talking about an increase running into thousands, isn't the cost of better insulation looking more and more viable?

I generally put in 700 in December and another 500 in March/April which sees us through the year. Ordered last week, 500 cost me £584... That's more than double from last year.

Meant to add.... we use oil for heating and hot water. We have a woodburner in which we burn the 25 leylandi (sp) that were growing wild in the paddock when we moved in 8 years ago. I reckon we have another 2 years worth of wood.

I really want to get solar panels or a wind turbine in the paddock, I've given up on the idea of a roof mounted turbine.

Fuel prices in Norway ashock1

Anders Opelgærning -
New insane prices today here in norway!!!
$12 = 1gallon for diesel!!! ($3.01 a litre)
$11.28 = 1 gallon 95 octane. ($2.82 a litre)

1647182003148.png

Last edited:
I got 7 quotes on Monday for Home Heating Oil in Aberdeenshire.

2 Companies wouldn’t quote.
Guide price £1.40 a litre
Guide price £1.30 a litre
Definite price £0.95 a litre
Definite price £0.89 a litre and could, and did deliver on Wednesday pm.,
1 company said can deliver in 3 weeks, we’ll give you a ring on the afternoon before proposed delivery and give you a price. You can then decide if you want it.

March/April 2020 it was £0.26 a litre.

I’ve got solar hot water, and on a sunny day like today, I get 300 litres at 60C.

I’ve got a modern insulated 4 bed new build with underfloor heating throughout and 2 Woodburners. I use about 1200 litres a year.

The underfloor goes on around October and runs constantly for around 6 months.

Blimey, 2 1/2 years ago i was clearing my late mums house in lancashire, came home from the tip to see a tanker outside the house. (I hadnt realised she was on an automatic top up deal) So they filled up once it dropped below a certain level. 600 ltrs at 60pence a ltr so £364
A month later we had to leave the house & with lockdown looming it was going to be empty for a long time. The house insurance were adamant that they would not cover the place if the tank was full & nobody there.
So I phoned the farmer a good friend who had done many favours for my parents & told him to "Empty it & happy xmas".
900 ltrs at the time about £540. Today to fill that tank would be over £1300
That whole area in lancashire relies on oil central heating, im sure glad to see the back of that place!

I generally put in 700 in December and another 500 in March/April which sees us through the year. Ordered last week, 500 cost me £584... That's more than double from last year.
Not sure why you don't order in summer instead. Prices are usually half the price.

Never noticed that prices drop in the summer, certainly not by half. As for when we order it's just that that's when we are near empty. I'll keep an eye out in a month or two.
Price goes down with demand. A full tank will last me a year with an average winter. I watch the prices from June through to August, prices will drop with news of heat waves etc. It tends to be 50% less than high winter prices. If I have to top up in winter it's minimum order amount.

* apart from March 2020 when covid hit. It was 17.5p a litre ordered 900 litres but only managed to fit 598 litres in. And to think I turned down a free 1200 tank the month previously

Back