Heavily hopped beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I was all for lagers for the past 30 years. I was lead to believe lagers were full of chemicals but little did I know they are the hardest to brew! It's only over the past few months I've discovered IPA's.. man.. where have I been? I'm sat here drinking a goose island thinking is this the most heavily hopped beer and the best beer I've tasted but now I need to go beyond goose island now that I have discovered hops.

As far as I can make out (correct me if I'm wrong) hopping at the beginning of the boil makes the bitter taste in the body of the brew? For me, that's from the back teeth down?

Flame out and dry hopping gives the flavour explosion at the front of the mouth where the tastes of tropical, grapefruit/citrus, pine.. herbs etc.. come from. This is the taste explosion I'm after.

I gotta admit, I was all for lagers for the past 30 years. I was lead to believe lagers were full of chemicals but little did I know they are the hardest to brew! It's only over the past few months I've discovered IPA's.. man.. where have I been? I'm sat here drinking a goose island thinking is this the most heavily hopped beer and the best beer I've tasted but now I need to go beyond goose island now that I have discovered hops.

As far as I can make out (correct me if I'm wrong) hopping at the beginning of the boil makes the bitter taste in the body of the brew? For me, that's from the back teeth down?

Flame out and dry hopping gives the flavour explosion at the front of the mouth where the tastes of tropical, grapefruit/citrus, pine.. herbs etc.. come from. This is the taste explosion I'm after.
It's only the beginning mate :cheers:

I've done 10+ brews now most of them very hoppy :-)
long boil times for bitterness and late/flameout for taste, dry hops for aroma. dry hop after main fermentation is over or the aroma you want for your beer will escape out of the airlock, your house will then smell awesome for a few days at the expense of your beer:-D

It's also worth noting that high alpha acid hops (AA) give more bitterness to the beer per boil time than low AA hops and that the AA varies between crops. Ive used 100g of galaxy and 100g of amarillo in the same 21liter brew, It easily beats the goose island beer. Lots of hops in beer does increase the brewing costs a lot but that's the downside of being a hop head. :mrgreen:

I have just bottled an apollo/chinook/admiral beer using 260g of hops in total for 21 litres.
:twisted:

anyways enjoy your exploration into the amazing world of hops!

Back