hello fellow brewers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
luckyeddie said:
shearclass said:
luckyeddie said:
No, I decided against adding extra yeast. It carbonated well enough and the family gannet is now drinking it at a rate of knots.

I would give 4/10 personally - I never really got it clear after the lagering and secondary. Perhaps it didn't have long enough - I suspect it was a combination of chill haze and yeast. I'm going to try again next week, I think. I'd like to get a 5 gallon carboy.

I've got a pilsner kit on the go using a lager yeast, which is the 2nd time i've tried this. I thought storing the bucket in my garage, submerged in water, would be enough to keep the temperature down, but in fact has been fermenting at about 16 - 17 degrees :eek: so I'm not sure what this will turn out like.

I just got a fridge last weekend for brewing, but whilst ican use that for fermenting at a set temeprature if i use my heater, or largerign at cold temperatures, i don't know how i can use this to get a mid range temperature of, say, 12C, when air temperature is about 18, and fridge temperature o nwarmest setting would be, I imagine, about 5C

if you are doing a standard can kit, don't worry about the fridge. Just use it to put your ready to drink beer in, ie once it has conditioned for a few weeks. ambient temps are generally ok in the majority of spots, mine is bubbling like a bugger downstairs at anything between 18'c and 24'c depending on how hot the day is...
I just keep the window open and treat like I would my boy or me...

If I am hot it will be, so a little draught, if I am cold, keep the windows shut, that's about it. It is very easy to worry a little too much about this stuff and everything I guess, but mainly the beer.

golder247 said:
if you are doing a standard can kit, don't worry about the fridge. Just use it to put your ready to drink beer in, ie once it has conditioned for a few weeks. ambient temps are generally ok

Thanks, but i don't really agree with this. It is a standard kit, but i am using a genuine lager yesat, so i shold be fermenting at a lower temperature.

The fridge will be used for lagering, and when not being used for lagering it will be used to ferment in over the colder months, heat being generated with an immersion heater.

ah sorry, genuine lager yeast I have no idea about, I just use what comes in the kit. I don't have the temp worry's that would then follow.

I obviously missed that bit. apologies! :oops:

Latest posts

Back