Help Creating Clone (Youngs Special London Ale)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phynes1

Reaction score
Hi All,

Youngs Special London Ale, is my favourite beer of all time. I've seen a few clone recipes online, but they are far too complex for my limited brewing knowledge. I've only brewed a couple of kits with the basic coopers equipment at this stage.

Could anyone advise me create a similar beer (doesnt have to be identical), using a homebrew kit, and maybe a couple of simple adjustments to the basic recipe? Note, it doesnt have to be identical, just something similar. I've brewed the coopers english bitter kit before, would that be a good place to start?

Maybe this is a stupib request, but appreciate any advice.

Ph.

I've no idea if there is a kit like this - what is special about it that you like so much?

There's an extract recipe here. You need a big stock pot (about £20 on eBay) and to boil on the stove, but it isn't very hard - certainly easier than all grain.

Hi Thanks, at my proficiency level that recipe is slightly too complex for me. But I'm def gonna try it at some stage.

I'm looking for something simpler.

Ph.

The problem of using a kit is that you don't know what the base of the kit is ie what base malts have been used and what hops have been used and when they were added. To be honest if you were going to use a kit as the base then you would have to do as much as using a Liquid malt extract.

You will not be able to tweek a kit simply to make a specific ale IMHO.

Thanks, I was thinking of dry hopping the Coopers IPA next. With LME and dextrose.

Might give that a whirl.

Ph.

Touchstone said:
http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=88

This is an all grain mash kit I'm just about to brew

I see that that is from Graham Wheelers book. If you replaced the pale malt with 3200g of Liquid malt extract all you would have to do is heat it up with the crystal malt in a muslin bag until it starts boiling take out the grains and then add your first hop additions and boil for 90 minutes. Ten minutes from the end add the late addition hops and a protofloc tablet. After 90 minutes let it cool (you could use a 5 gallon Jerry ie poor in whilst hot and fix lid and allow to cool overnight ). Once cooled put in sterilised FV and add yeast.

10 days later ......................

BEER

Latest posts

Back