Help me choose what to dry hop with

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incendiary

Reaction score
Hi all,

My adventures into brewing so far have been standard kits, and SWMBO has been fairly understanding about the whole process... even when she went for a bath and found 40 bottles having their labels soaked off... So with that in mind, I'd like to try and make something that she'll enjoy with my next batch (who says romance is dead?!)

I recently picked up a bottle of Caesar Augustus which markets itself as a lager/IPA hybrid - and the missus loved it. I happen to have a Young's lager kit knocking around and figured I might as well have a stab at turning it into something similar. The bottle is vague about the hops it uses ("typical IPA hops"), although links like this one (williamsbrosbrew . com/beerboard/bottles/caesar-augustus - can't post links yet) do state actual varieties.

So - what should I be looking at dry hopping with to try and replicate that taste? I was thinking cascade - but I don't know if that would produce the results I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

I did have a bottle of Caesar Augustus a while back and didn't quite "get" it. Decent enough pint but something didn't seem quite right... didn't blow the socks off I suppose.

Anyway, to do something like that you'll probably want to add a little body - there might be some steepable grains to do the job? Then you'll want some IPA hops. I like the big american citrussey ones like chinook, citra, etc. You could use a hop tea to get some aroma and flavour then dry hop for that fruity *ping*...

Have fun with it!!

calumscott said:
I did have a bottle of Caesar Augustus a while back and didn't quite "get" it. Decent enough pint but something didn't seem quite right... didn't blow the socks off I suppose.
To be honest I'd agree with you - but she loved it!

calumscott said:
Anyway, to do something like that you'll probably want to add a little body - there might be some steepable grains to do the job? Then you'll want some IPA hops. I like the big american citrussey ones like chinook, citra, etc. You could use a hop tea to get some aroma and flavour then dry hop for that fruity *ping*...
Research time by the looks of it!

calumscott said:
Have fun with it!!
Oh I will! Thanks for the advice!

calumscott said:
Just noticed the youngster kit. Use LME or light DME instead of the sugar :thumb:

Will do! Already done one with some Muntons BKE, still conditioning that.

Id suggest simcoe or citra. Nelson sauvign if your are feeling rich. I wouldny go to over the top though. Maybe an oz at most for five gallon batch.

DC

You can't go wrong with cascade for dry hopping.
Go buy a bottle of sierra nevada pale ale - that's a cascade showcase.

Latest posts

Back