Help Needed!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b121flem

Reaction score
This is my first ever time brewing beer. I was given ,as a gift, a complete starter pack from the website balliihoo. I have attempted to brew my own larger from a kit called 'Geordie Larger'. It is a 40 pint kit and I have followed the instructions to a tee. I used Vinclasse brewing sugar throughout the brewing process. I have now left the beer in the pressure barrel after adding 70g of the brewing sugar ,as told to on the instructions, for 2 weeks and when I have gone to taste some the beer is completely flat. I am confused on how I could re-carbonate the larger. I had the pressure barrel stored in the ideal temperature and lubricated the seals ,as I was told to do on a youtube video I watched, but my beer has no fizz what so ever. It comes out with a bit of a head but I think that's just the pour. I was just wondering if someone come help me and save my beer!

If you can get it out of the barrel without it glugging,ie under pressure,then all is not lost.
You won't get a massive amount of carbonation from 70g of sugar though ..
Is it still pressurised?

This is my first ever time brewing beer. I was given ,as a gift, a complete starter pack from the website balliihoo. I have attempted to brew my own larger from a kit called 'Geordie Larger'. It is a 40 pint kit and I have followed the instructions to a tee. I used Vinclasse brewing sugar throughout the brewing process. I have now left the beer in the pressure barrel after adding 70g of the brewing sugar ,as told to on the instructions, for 2 weeks and when I have gone to taste some the beer is completely flat. I am confused on how I could re-carbonate the larger. I had the pressure barrel stored in the ideal temperature and lubricated the seals ,as I was told to do on a youtube video I watched, but my beer has no fizz what so ever. It comes out with a bit of a head but I think that's just the pour. I was just wondering if someone come help me and save my beer!
You should have some pressure from 70g sugar so there is a possibility that your pressure barrel has developed a leak from somewhere. Sadly it is quite common. Dependant upon the sort of PB you have if you read these you might find the solution.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pressure-barrels-more-than-you-wanted-to-know.89344/If you have some CO2 bulbs you could try one to pressurise the PB and go round all the joints with soapy water,
And taking the lid off is fine to sort out a leak, but if you leave it off for any time cover the opening with cling film. But don't allow air to glug through the beer if you open the tap or it might spoil.

If you can get it out of the barrel without it glugging,ie under pressure,then all is not lost.
You won't get a massive amount of carbonation from 70g of sugar though ..
Is it still pressurised?
Ditto, I would normally use 100g for kegging.

Latest posts

Back