Help pls on timings for dry hopped pilsner kit with S-23

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhousebrewing

Reaction score
Looking to brew a Wilko Pilsner using S-23 yeast and dry hop with Saaz - I've read the threads on using S-23 but unsure how dry hopping affects timing...

This is my plan at the moment:
Rehydrate the S-23 at 23degC, letting it cool to pitch into around 20 litres of wort at 18degC, letting it all cool gradually to 12degC.
Leave for 7-10 days at 12degC
Rack to secondary for 2-3 weeks at 12degC
Drop SV temp (can probably get down to 5-6degC in the cellar) for a further 3 weeks
Bottle via bottling bucket with 100g sugar

I mainly want hop aroma from the Saaz (normally use 30-50g) so where in this timing should they be added and for how long?
Suggestions from those with experience on the dry hopping and timings in general appreciated!

Thanks
Stuart

Personally I'd make a hop tea and put it in at the very beginning.

Failing that I'd put it in 7 days before you move to secondary. Just after the vigorous initial ferment has calmed down.

K

I made the exact same kit with the exact yeast at those exact temps and I chose to dry hop for 7 days at lagering temps in secondary (during lagering) with 1oz of Saaz. You could definitely get a strong hop aroma but that's what I like. Not your usual expectation from a lager but I thought it worked well, if you are after a more regular style lager I would recommend less hops and maybe halfway through fermentation so some aroma is expelled with the fermentation.

P.s. I lagered at around 4c for 2 months and this made a cracking lager considering it was a cheap wilko kit. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine :cheers:

Thanks for the suggestions - I've adjusted my plan and kicked it off just now, really looking forward to seeing how using S-23 compares with the supplied yeast.
Everyday a school day!
Stuart

Latest posts

Back