help with cherry WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_pullin

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I started a cherry wow about 4 weeks ago now everything went well in getting it into the DJ and it had a good 2 weeks fermenting. I killed it off and racked it to 2nd DJ to clear this is where im having the problem. I could not see any improvement in the clarity of the wine on Wednesday so i added more pectolase and gave it another dose of vin-clear. Iv come back to it today and looked like no change. The room i store it in is fairly dull so i grabbed a torch shined it through and found it to be actually really clear just almost black in colour.
Now hear is the problem while flashing the torch around i found what can only be described as stalactites hanging down from the surface of the wine :eek: Is my wine infected or is that what happens sometimes? Its does not smell off its actually nice and fruity, iv not had a taste yet.

Have any of you experienced this before?

Cheers

Matt

:wha: not heard of that before?? I'd do a taste test. If it tastes fine then it probably is ok. Bottle it and open one in a month or two.

My RGJ and Apple tasted off at bottling time but now tastes great.

matthew_pullin said:
I started a cherry wow about 4 weeks ago now everything went well in getting it into the DJ and it had a good 2 weeks fermenting. I killed it off and racked it to 2nd DJ to clear this is where im having the problem. I could not see any improvement in the clarity of the wine on Wednesday so i added more pectolase and gave it another dose of vin-clear. Iv come back to it today and looked like no change. The room i store it in is fairly dull so i grabbed a torch shined it through and found it to be actually really clear just almost black in colour.
Now hear is the problem while flashing the torch around i found what can only be described as stalactites hanging down from the surface of the wine :eek: Is my wine infected or is that what happens sometimes? Its does not smell off its actually nice and fruity, iv not had a taste yet.

Hmmm. How much pectolase have you added? Did you get a hydrometer reading before stabilising?

Just wondering if either it's a pectin haze (i've had ones that look like tendrils from the surface) or if you added a stabiliser before the ferment was complete.

:drink:

sorry did not take a reading it had been a good few weeks. it was actually 2 and a half weeks in primary FV > campden tab added with Potassium Sorbate left for 3 days > racked into 2nd DJ with another campden tab and 2 cap full of Vinclear. no change after week and a half > additional 2 flat tsp of pectolase added with another 2 caps of vinclear.

Just thrown up a Hail Mary, gave it a light shake and they have dropped lets hope they dont return :pray:

Ill bottle some time this week if all is well

matthew_pullin said:
sorry did not take a reading it had been a good few weeks. it was actually 2 and a half weeks in primary FV > campden tab added with Potassium Sorbate left for 3 days > racked into 2nd DJ with another campden tab and 2 cap full of Vinclear. no change after week and a half > additional 2 flat tsp of pectolase added with another 2 caps of vinclear.

Very odd. Yeah maybe just add another tsp of pectolase and bottle after a few days. You don't expect these things from WOWs! The one I've got on at the mo has been going for 2 weeks solid with no sign of finish. Just popped some citric acid in so see of the acidity's off and it's going like a belter again :roll:

This is only my second WOW the first was an apple and it did not go all that well i found it hard to get that clear as well but look how it turned out. Im rather chuffed with it :D the glass is dirty but the wine is clear :oops:

apple wow by mattypullin, on Flickr

matthew_pullin said:
This is only my second WOW the first was an apple and it did not go all that well i found it hard to get that clear as well but look how it turned out. Im rather chuffed with it :D the glass is dirty but the wine is clear :oops:

Looks very drinkable :cheers:

Latest posts

Back