Hi all! Brewing noob incoming needing help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TS24

Reaction score
Good afternoon all from the West Midlands

My parents have gifted to me a Brew Monk all-in-one brewing system (the 30 ltr one) and whilst before homebrewing was not something I had considered, I am very interested in giving this a go. Now I have done some studying and I have a long way to go but I just want to get all my ducks in a row before I brew a starter kit.

The one bit I am struggling with is a basic list of equipment that I need to go with this piece of kit. I have on the way a hydrometer, cleaning equipment (suitable for homebrewing), a siphon tube and the bottling equipment. I know I need a fermentation bucket but I don't have the budget for a stainless steel one at the moment so was considering a plastic bucket with airlock and tap provided. I need a grain crusher (can anyone recommend a budget option for this please) but that is where I've hit a block. Can anyone else recommend anything else that is needed?

As I said before I am still doing more research into this so will not start a thing until I am confident I am ready to do so!

Thank you very much for reading.

A plastic fermentation bucket is what most of us use and is more than adequate. A heating mat or belt for the fermentation bucket is also a must this time of year

I don't think that you need a malt crusher

If you brew all grain rather than kit it is the norm for most malt to be sold ready milled

You might need a thermometer and waterproof socks!!

What about a recipe book Greg Hughes or Graham Wheeler are the most popular

Lucky you to have been gifted a brew monk . I would keep it as simple as possible until you decide if you like the hobby. You don’t really need a grain crusher as it’s very easy to order the grain pre- crushed. So what you have suggested is probably enough.

That is a nice system. Congratulations.

Might have a bit of a learning curve but you'll get it. Very helpful people here.

Have fun!

Nice bit of kit for sure though would recommend having a look at this first and before you head out on your maiden adventure take a trial using water only so as to get to know your system to start as you will certainly have some teething problems.. Sanitiser is a must and with that keeping your equipment clean. Good luck...

Latest posts

Back