Hi everyone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwibber

Reaction score
Im on my 4th homebrew using kits. Ive done a cider that was vinegary as hell. Done a wilko cerveza that tasted good but no carbonation, coopers cerveza with cascade hops thrown in the fv from the start thats nearly ready to consume and the testers ive had being a bit cheeky its the best one ive done, Coopers Austrlaien pale ale with cascade hops. I have just brewed a brewfrem tawebier to 15l with 800g of brewing sugar, the zest of 1 orange and zest of 2 lemons in the fv and 10g of crushed coriander seeds in a muslin bag with the peel of both fruits. I got a og of 1.055 brewing at 22°c . Im after some advice on how long to ferment for, if to do a transfer to a secondary and also how is the best way to carbonate as i am using 500ml brown PET bottles. Thanks

Hi Dwibber. Sounds like you're on the path that lots of us have taken, i.e. do a few kits, start tweaking them, add hops, get the brewing bug and then before you know it you follow Clibit's advice and the house is full of grains and bubbling fermenters! It's a nice journey. I like to leave my brews in the FV for at least two weeks, there is divided opinion on whether transferring to a secondary is useful or not. I've done it with some stronger beers and I think it helps them clear and condition before bottling, but the best thing is to remove the muslin bag after a few days, have a taste and see if the zest and seeds have added the sort of flavour you're looking for, see if your FG has remained the same for three days and then if if you fancy the wait you could transfer to to a secondary for another weeks's clearing.

Cheers HarrowBrewer
I am an eager beaver and i have got the bug. BAD. lol. The misses is kicking off and i cant hide where im brewing..... need heaters in my shed

Cheers HarrowBrewer
I am an eager beaver and i have got the bug. BAD. lol. The misses is kicking off and i cant hide where im brewing..... need heaters in my shed

Just a random thought but you could make her live in the shed :rofl:

Just a random thought but you could make her live in the shed :rofl:

Tricker now that the cold weather is coming. I managed to involve my wife in the process by making WOWs, which she likes, and some nice ginger beer, that she is (almost) enjoying. Now the house is even more rammed with FVs, demijohns, bottles and assorted kits, but I can convince her that its a hobby we're both enjoying….

Latest posts

Back