Librarian's Wit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
This is probably one for those with either all in one machines, eBiab machines, or who are up for advanced mashing techniques, as it includes an acid rest in the mash. It's worth it though for sure! I have an eBiab kettle rims I built myself, making step mashing quite easy to achieve:-

Recirculating.jpg

It's pretty much a normal "proper" Belgian Wit, but using Mandarina Bavaria hops in place of noble hops, to excellent effect. Use your choice of Belgian Wit yeast, I used Mangrove Jacks M21, but it has a habit of stopping then going again after bottling....

I rebuilt the water using RO water and the Beersmith 3 lager profile. Targets were based on 75% brew house efficiency.

OG 1.051. Batch 23.7 Litres. Colour 6 EBC. IBUs 15.6 Tinseth. FG 1.011 (mine hit 1.014, but then went some more in the bottles, luckily not a problem in PET bottles).

Mash has 3 steps:-

Step 1: 20 minutes at 40 degrees C Acid/Beta Glucan rest - VERY important, as without this you're working with glue, not grain.
Step 2: 90 Minutes at 65 degrees C Saccharification rest.
Step 3: 15 Minutes mash out at 76 degrees C.

Mashing:-

Step 1

200 Rice hulls
600g Flaked malted oats 0.5 EBC
700g Crisp pale malted wheat 3.5 EBC
2000g Flaked wheat 4 EBC

Left in for....

Step 2

2000g Dingemans pilsen malt 3.5 EBC

Then mash out.

With the acid rest, it runs freely no problem, the beta glucans get converted to sugars. It also really helps to develop the flavours during fermentation from the yeast.

Then 60 minute boil:-

@ 60 minutes 20g Mandarina Bavaria whole hops 8.9% AA

@ 15 minutes .5 Protafloc
@ 15 minutes 10g Lightly crushed coriander seeds
@ 15 minutes 25g Bitter orange peel

Once done, cool to about 19 degrees for pitching, try to ferment at about 24 degrees C for the best flavours.

Oh, and serving suggestion. Pour most of the bottle (yeah, I suggest bottling this rather than kegging, for one thing you want about 2.8 vols of CO2 in it... So PET bottles are a good bet), then swirl the bottle to rouse the yeast, then pour this too. If you don't you get a beer that looks like this:-

IMG_20181026_214339.jpg
It WON'T have a whole lot of flavour though at all! The flavours are all in that yeast in the bottom of the bottom, as is most of the lovely mouth feel, so rouse that yeast. You should get a beer looking like this:-

IMG_20181026_200913.jpg

Lovely citrus spicy flavours, with a silky smooth mouth feel, ridiculously easy to drink!

Oh, and when making wheat beers it can be a good idea to use an FV with extra head room, and possibly a blow off tube. I've not had it happen, but some folks find that they get a HUGE krausen on them.

If you do brew this, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been. I much prefer the flavour from the Mandarina Bavaria to, say, Saaz. Oh and yes, even added at start of boil you DO get flavour from them, it's just much more subtle.

Latest posts

Back