Hi from Belfast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davybarman

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Thought I should introduce my self to the wold of Home Brew.
After a very welcome birthday present of the Youngs brewing kit, I have now been brewing successfuly for around a year.
I have brewed the following

Youngs Lager - Very Successfull first attempt and was dissappearred very quickly
Cooper Irish Stout - Was very drinkable. However it was quite bitter and I may have been over eager priming. It was quite bitter. I trying using a sugar syrup for priming.
Coopers Wheat Beer - Very Successful batch vwery livly and kept a beautiful Head
Coopers Irish Stout- Well I went back to try and improve on the last batch. However I was left with a very explosive mix when half a dozen bottles started exploding. We live and learn.
Coopers Belgian ? - I have this fermenting for the last few days. Another few days and will be ready for priming.

Anyway a question for the more experienced. After priming and conditioning I am still having a sandy residue at the bottom of bottles. I presume this is yeast?? How can I reduce this and what do you recommend?

Talk to you all soon

Dave :cheers:

Hello & welcome to the forum :)

:cheers:

The deposit at the bottom of the bottles is the yeast as you correctly guess, I dont think there is a way to get away from it if you are only using bottles, you just have to pour the bottle without disturbing it :)

Ok cheers. Thought that would be the case with the current way I was brewing.

Another question. As you deduced I am fermenting in a 25 litre bucket then decanting into pint bottles for conditioning. What method do others use?

Welcome to the forum.

You can always transfer to another fv and chill after primary fermentation has finished, this will drop some of the yeast out of suspension. You can then bottle from there, or transfer to another fv if batch priming. It won't totally eliminate the yeast in the bottle, just reduce it.

Cheers. For the current batch wi ll just look to bottle as normal. Will look in another FV for the next batch.Maybe pick up a little bottler. Have about another week to go with my current batch.
Just not a big selection of hb shops over here and cant be arsed waiting on mail order. S o have to wait when the shop in belfast has stock delivere.d

Hello! A brewing kit is an excellent birthday present :cheers:

and AHA I knew there was a brewing shop in Belfast somewhere! I had begun to suspect otherwise after trudging for hours and no-one could tell me where it was :wha: :lol:

Latest posts

Back