Holidays.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this be a bad time to say that at the end of last year we took a calculated risk and booked a villa on a small Greek island? The dates are right at the end of August - and the price was very good. If we're allowed to go, great - if not then at least we've had the pleasure of looking forward to it :-)

Unfortunately plenty of wallies out there. Olympics is the one that gets my goat just cancel it and shove everyone 4 years down the queue But...but..all the athletes have trained for it. Everyone has made massive sacrifices and many are much more life than death than a load of people gathering to play out minority sports that few care about.
I think that's a bit harsh tbh. Don't get me wrong I am not sure about the wisdom of it going ahead but it sounds like you have no idea of the dedication and mental and physical effort to peak at just the right time in your career to have a stab at an Olympic medal. Just because it's a minority sport does not make it any less for those concerned and you can't just shove it 4 years down the queue as that may have been their only chance. Besides the athletes become their own bubble and are regularly tested, it's the public that is the issue.
I didn't see anyone moaning about the irresponsible football matches going ahead with fans partying outside stadiums and travelling to Europe, or is football okay?

There is a song in there somewere, living in a bubble ( sorry ) I can see this going **** up big time, you get all these figures from around the world but non mention China some guy was asking today have they got the antidote

I think that's a bit harsh tbh. Don't get me wrong I am not sure about the wisdom of it going ahead but it sounds like you have no idea of the dedication and mental and physical effort to peak at just the right time in your career to have a stab at an Olympic medal. Just because it's a minority sport does not make it any less for those concerned and you can't just shove it 4 years down the queue as that may have been their only chance. Besides the athletes become their own bubble and are regularly tested, it's the public that is the issue.
I didn't see anyone moaning about the irresponsible football matches going ahead with fans partying outside stadiums and travelling to Europe, or is football okay?

I also think the same re travelling for football matches and have been equally vocal.

I am listening to 5 live and people are lining up to moan about not being able to now go on holiday to Portugal, I bet many of these are the same people that accused the government of not locking down quick enough 18 months ago.
Probably

Maybe im getting old, but when you see what we have to offer on our beaches, why get on a plane or boat :p
No you are not wrong this green and pleasant land of ours has some stunning and hidden gems, Hemsby in Norfolk is one, the northwest coast round Arnside and Silverdale and up around Whitehaven are spectacular

The weather is the answer cannot be trusted.
And price. We are (were) able to get on a ferry and stay in a gite in France for a lot less than the price of a holiday property back here. That said we are booked to go to Wales next month, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Maybe im getting old, but when you see what we have to offer on our beaches, why get on a plane or boat :p
:laugh8:
Traditionally, for a bit of warmth and sunshine. Just 'cos you're too old and wrinkly to cut it in your tattered and patched mankini, doesn't mean the rest of wouldn't like to slough off the old duffel coat. And travel broadens the mind, don't you know.

But mostly for the duty free fags and booze. Yes, proper duty free is back.

Last edited:
And price. We are (were) able to get on a ferry and stay in a gite in France for a lot less than the price of a holiday property back here. That said we are booked to go to Wales next month, and I'm perfectly happy with that.
O leiaf nid ydyn nhw'n siarad Ffrangeg yng Nghymru.

(At least they don't speak French in Wales- courtesy of Google Translate)

I pity the poor blighters, who've been locked up in a flat with the other half and a pile of kids, dogs and cats, all through the confinement and who've only avoided throttling each other by dreaming of a bit of sunshine and carefree days of swilling Stella. Only to have the flea-infested rug pulled from under their feet. But does anybody care? Not on your Nelly.

AA - The price for living in an overpopulated land - that will be the future for many as all new builds are nothing but refined rabbit hutches with no or very little 'run'

As I have said a few times lockdown hasn't really effected us we are all key workers so apart from wearing face coverings life has just carried on, I do feel sorry for people who have been stuck inside working from home with kids not going to school for months on end and I get they are desperate for a break but just for one year can they not holiday here and have a foreign holiday when it's safer for all to do so, people are saying it is more expensive to holiday here well all I can say is having listened to a few families on 5 live explaining the cost of the testing needed to allow you to travel plus the risk you may have to quaremteen if the status of the country you are in changes while you are there I think I would give it a miss.

Back