Holy smoke! (From my burner)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdog64

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if it's holy or not, (it may be electing a pope?) but it's causing me to blaspheme.

I bought a large single gas burner for the purpose of boiling my beer. And a large stainless pan, which ain't so shiny now because the gas burner insists on putting out a rather weak, yellow and sooty flame rather than the blue flame we associate with butane (Calor Gas). The regulator is fine, used it this summer for camping.

The burner has a light alloy sleeve which fits over 2 large rectangular slots on the part of the burner near where the gas connects. From my limited knowledge of this kind of thing, yellow smoky flame is caused by incomplete combustion, so is this alloy sleeve thing supposed to let some air in to mix with the gas?

You can see the alloy sleeve below, just in front of the tap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111159774063

The burner really is big, a good 6 inches across.

It's not just paint or anything that's burning off, as I've had it running for ages and it didn't get any bluer?

Any advice gratefully received.

I have the same type of gas burner, I use it for boiling crabs though.
The thingy covering the holes I have placed so it doesn't cover the holes, gives me a nice blue flame.
When the hole is covered it produces a yellow flame.

Thanks, I'll have a play around. You don't make beer from crabs, do you? :wink:

No crab beer :lol:, no, but a pint or two of homebrew to go with the freshly cooked crab on a warm summers evening is about as close to paradise you can get :thumb:

No crab beer
icon_lol.gif
, no, but a pint or two of homebrew to go with the freshly cooked crab on a warm summers evening is about as close to paradise you can get

Yes, it sounds great to me too!

Thanks everyone, I did as suggested and now it has a nice clean and blue flame :)

Latest posts

Back