Home Brew Company American Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the bottles have completed their 2 week carbonation cycle indoors and have now been moved to the beer fridge.

Give them a couple more weeks and I will report back with a taste test against my own DIPA.

Of course I may have tried a couple already (quality control you understand) and they are pretty good and very strong :cool:

Just completed a taste test. Will report soon as I get the photos uploaded.
Ps I enjoyed it a little too much and may have to have a lye down first.....

Wasn't lye used to dissolve bodies by sinister Victorian murderers?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Here goes with the final bit of the review - The Taste Test

I have lined the HBC DIPA up against one of my own brewed a couple of weeks earlier. Both are about 6%. Both stored at 10c

The HBC DIPA is on the right

Very similar in colour

DSCF5141.jpg

and good clarity. The HBC has a very slight chill haze but has not been the fridge as long and this will likely go in a couple more weeks.

Carbonation is very similar in both and good for a DIPA.
Both had a good head but the HBC brew was a lot tighter and retained it to the last drop, unlike mine.

DSCF5145.jpg

Neither had a very pronounced hop aroma with mine just a little more noticeable (although I have noticed it has dropped off somewhat from the first bottles I tried a few weeks back).
Taste wise they were both good and with neither having a real hop hit. The HBC was slightly more malty with the alcohol coming through slightly more.

And in conclusion which won? - I'd say it was a draw, I liked both, subtly different but both good and too easy to drink for a 6% beer . If I did them again I might add a few more late hops.

I would definitely recommend the HBC kit. I wish these were around when I started AG as they mean you can concentrate on your equipment with out having to worry about the recipe.

Back