Home Brew kit: Confusing instructions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenMolz

Reaction score
Hello and sorry for creating a new thread. I realise there are quite a few home brew kit threads but I couldn't find one that was totally appropriate.

I am currently doing my third home brew. The first two went without a hitch and I ended up with pretty good beers. This third one however...

Is a Belgian style ale and the instructions are a little confusing.

Basically, i'm unsure of part of the process. I added the 'gunk' in the tins (sorry i'm not very technical) to water, added the yeast. The instructions then said to wait 5 days before adding the spray malt - which I did. However, the instructions after this point are a little vague. It says to leave the brew now until the gravity is less than 1.006 (which is fine, I have a hydrometer) and then to 'bottle as normal'.

When i've bottled beer before I've always added a teaspoon of sugar per 750ml. However, I am unsure if this is necessary this time? (I don't think i've added spay malt to previous brews so i'm not sure if doing that replaces the need to add sugar in the bottling process?)

Any help would be much appreciated.

That is unusual, normally you would add the spray malt at the start with the liquid malt (gunk as you call it).. either way it should still ferment out.. but make sure it has reached the FG and leave it for a week or so after that I would say.

then prime with sugar as normal.

Hi. I presume this is the Munton's Hand Crafted Belgian Ale kit, which has those instructions. I guess the idea here is that, because its a strong ale, then staggering the addition of fermentables stresses the yeast less. I've never done it, and you'd probably be fine adding it all at once, but following the instructions probably won't hurt. Either way, bottling as normal means adding the priming sugar as you have with the previous kits.

Thanks for the help everyone. It is the Munton's hand crafted ale kit yes. I thought it was a bit strange to add the spray malt after 5 days (but as i don't really know what I'm doing yet instructions are my main go to!).

I will prime with sugar as normal when i bottle and let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the help everyone. It is the Munton's hand crafted ale kit yes. I thought it was a bit strange to add the spray malt after 5 days (but as i don't really know what I'm doing yet instructions are my main go to!).

I will prime with sugar as normal when i bottle and let you know how it goes!

Disclaimer: I've no experience of this kit.

The only reason I can think of to add the extra spraymalt after 5 days is to not overload the yeast. There are a few recipes that call for adding more fermentables after the main fermentation has finished. some beers are triple fermented that would be with the final fermentation being in the bottle/keg

Latest posts

Back