Homebrew Buying spree

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhomebrew

AKA - RobsHomebrew
Reaction score
Alright guys been out today to Wilkos and the range and bought my self some new equipment and ingredients. They are as follows,
25L Wilkos FV (wide neck)
Syphon
Airlock (small stuby one)
24 500ml coopers bottles
12 wine bottles
Corks
Corker
Temp strip
Dextrose
Rose wine kit (from the range)
I think that's it. But thought id share my little spending binge. I'm a little gutted the wilkos id gone to had no Mexican Cervesa In stock. I was hoping for one ;(. I'm currently brewing all my lagers/pilsners for summer and I was hoping to get a Mexican on the go tonight but think ill order one online.

your wilkos is better stocked than ours, here its an end of aisle display and thats it ;(
hope you enjoy the labour and fruits from your mini shopping binge ;)

Rob have a look at my review especially the bit about the extra sugar - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33697

Iv had a good read chippy. Great info. However I hope to god you can offer me some reassurance. Iv just made up the batch of the range rose and I have a shockingly large OG. 1.094 to be exact!!!!!! Is this normal???? I only bought 1kg of dextrose and when I came to do the kit it said I needed 4kg of dextrose or 3.5kg of granulated sugar. Obviously I'm used to brewing beer and when I bought the kit earlier I thought 1kg of dextrose would do. Anyway off I poped to the shop and baught 3kg of sugar. When I got back I put all 3kg of sugar and added the 1kg of dextrose thinking id add it all to make up for the shortfall dextrose appears to have against sugar. Stir it altogether add the wood chips and yeast and my mouth dropped open when i saw the OG. I couldn't of thought of a more fitting word than ( Sugar) LOL. anyway I hope you can reassure me all is well I really hope iv not snuffed it.

your wilkos is better stocked than ours, here its an end of aisle display and thats it ;(
hope you enjoy the labour and fruits from your mini shopping binge ;)

:( uhmmmm. Iv never been to wilkos until today and from what iv heard its meant to be great for bits and bats. I did get a fair haul from their I suppose but I kind of feel a little disappointed. I was expecting abit more.

Iv had a good read chippy. Great info. However I hope to god you can offer me some reassurance. Iv just made up the batch of the range rose and I have a shockingly large OG. 1.094 to be exact!!!!!! Is this normal???? I only bought 1kg of dextrose and when I came to do the kit it said I needed 4kg of dextrose or 3.5kg of granulated sugar. Obviously I'm used to brewing beer and when I bought the kit earlier I thought 1kg of dextrose would do. Anyway off I poped to the shop and baught 3kg of sugar. When I got back I put all 3kg of sugar and added the 1kg of dextrose thinking id add it all to make up for the shortfall dextrose appears to have against sugar. Stir it altogether add the wood chips and yeast and my mouth dropped open when i saw the OG. I couldn't of thought of a more fitting word than ( Sugar) LOL. anyway I hope you can reassure me all is well I really hope iv not snuffed it.

From chippy tea's thread if you hadn't reread it already. (AND I SEE YOU HAVE)

I had no need to worry about the lack of a nutrient as It fermented vigorously for 7 days as the instructions said it would, on the seventh day i took a reading and it was down to 995. (started at 1090)

From chippy tea's thread if you hadn't reread it already. (AND I SEE YOU HAVE)

I had no need to worry about the lack of a nutrient as It fermented vigorously for 7 days as the instructions said it would, on the seventh day i took a reading and it was down to 995. (started at 1090)

Ermmm yeh I Had read it, but it would Appear that I either overlooked that bit or forgot about it. Iv since read it.
Thanks

It may come out a bit stronger than usual, maybe ~ 13.5%? But you could add a litre of Apple or Grape Juice and a litre of water? It's not a bad kit, but it does ferment down very dry indeed.

Latest posts

Back