Tweaking a cheap wine kit as altrative to WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurdygurdy

Reaction score
Hello, as a new forum member I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a recent convert to home brewing, I'v been following this forum for the last few months, and have read some great advice from the members. To date I've made a few kit wines, and some WOW variants. So far, thanks in no little part to the advice I've had on here, the results have been very good. I've now taken the plunge (glass of Beaverdale Chateau du Roi in hand), and gone from spectator to participant.

So thank you all for the help you've given so far, to a fledgling oenologist, and as my first selfless act as a new forum member, I'm going to ask for your assistance in my latest project.

As I've found it increasingly difficult to obtain WGJ, I've decided on an alternative strategy. I went to The Range, earlier today and bought one of their 23 litre white wine kits. They currently have a 20% off offer on their kits, so it came in at £15.99 and with the sugar I'm looking at about 19 quid for 23 litres of wine. The yeast, stabiliser and finings are included in the kit, so in all the price compares reasonably favourably with a WOW.

My plan is to start this kit off in a fermenting bucket, then when the initial fermentation dies down, transfer the wine into 6 or 7 DJ's, and do a little tweaking.

I will keep one unadulterated as a control, to another I plan to add some dried elderflowers (as I enjoyed a Wilko's elderflower which was made this way).

As for the remainder, I'm thinking of adding a variety of fruit juices, to alter. and hopefully, improve the flavour. I'd love some feedback on my plan, and some ideas on which juices to try, the ratio of juice to wine base, and any thoughts on the addition of tannin, tartaric/malic acid, glycerine etc.

Thanks for all past and future help.

Regards, and apologies for a slightly rambling post (refer to Chateau du Roi)

hurdy.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Great news about the 20% off wine kits at the Range store.

If i remember right someone posted here that you can buy flavourings like you get in the WineBuddy kits, i have tried their Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay, they both turned out very well.

Have you tried a red grape juice instead if white, i used to make all my wine with white grape juice but now make it with red and we think the results are much better.

Latest posts

Back