Homebrew recipes from Crisp Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While hunting for a way to order malt directly from the local Crisp Maltings just up the road, 'I found this and thought of you' , it's a set of homebrew recipes scaled from their commercial recipes in their malting handbook - which is also a really useful document. I quite like the look of the English ESB which I think I might have a go at.

Recipes at Homebrew Beer Recipes | Crisp Malt | The Finest UK Malt

The malt handbook is at The Malt Handbook | Brewing and Distilling Malts | Crisp Malt 2022 though you do have to give an email address for the link. The guide looks like it's a more condensed version of what is on the web with some good tables and recipes scaled for 10brl. There's also a couple of cool infographics showing the makeup of some beer types:

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 08.30.10.png

I have scaled the Victorian Steampunk recipe from their commercial section and plan to brew in the next few weeks. I think it’s strange that it isn’t listed as a homebrew recipe as it doesn’t seem to have much commercial appeal.

I don't normally do recipes but the Crisp handbook gives good ideas to create. I had a request from a lager lout friend in for a German pilsner. As I intended to brew this quickly it was going to be a pressure fermentation in 2 kegs, so scaling down to a 42l batch the malts is easy as they also list the percentages, as for the hops I used one of the beer apps to scale down which also helped confirmed the amount of malts. Admittedly I didn't follow the recipe in full as I had no Vienna malts @ 3% so used Carapils, friend was very happy with the result.

Back