Homemade Cellar Cooling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit

Reaction score
I have a cellar that is in need of cooling. To buy a proper one would cost about £2000 so self build was the idea. I now have a maxi 210 supplying cold water through an aquarium pump which is switched on by an ATC800. The water is pumped through a nissan micra radiator grill and with a desk top fan behind the radiator it manages to keep the room about 15 Deg C.

Yesterday I removed the desktop fan and attached the original radiator fan back onto the radiator and powered it with a fully charged motorbike battery which produced a much faster air speed through the radiator than the desktop fan did. Problem was that the battery ran out after about 4 hours.

Can I buy a 240v transformer to power the radiator fan and it would be great to incorporate a speed controll on the fan. Any crazy ideas as I dont know how much power the fan requires. All i know is that the part number off the chassis is 8240258

Its only going to be a 12v, couldn't you get a battery charger connected to it, one of the older type ones though as they are not intelligent like the new ones that sense voltage before they start putting the voltage out.

I had a trickle charger attached to the battery at the same time but that did nothing. I guess i should try a bigger car battery rather than the bike battery.

Will the 12v molex have enough power to run the fan?

I would also recommend you check out your local Yahoo Freecycle or Freegle. I got a very good car battery from that source, its now in the garage providing me with DC lighting, its charged with a Solar car battery charger.

This idea is genius. Do you need to cool the whole cellar or could you just cool a section of it? Ive seen someone somewhere using a cheap placky greenhouse coupled to a portable aircon unit

Cyclops said:
do you know what sort of amps the car fan pulls?

I am trying to find out. I have the part number but google is not helping me so far. I have found out that most radiator fans in cars are on a 25 amp fuse but thats it so far.

Working on this most of the day so I will be back later

Dronfieldbrewer said:
This idea is genius. Do you need to cool the whole cellar or could you just cool a section of it? Ive seen someone somewhere using a cheap placky greenhouse coupled to a portable aircon unit

Its the whole room. I have 3 fermenters in there and another maxi 210 cooling them. So i have a battle with heat produced by this chiller in the room. I have the chiller for the cellar cooling outside the room.

Back