Hop Growing 2011

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to brewing and only doing kits at the moment. But I would like to get into the real mans way of brewing, so there are a couple of questions after reading this posting.

Firstly, I want to make a good tasting bitter of medium/stronger strenght. What variety of hops should I go for?

Second, reading that they grow up to 15 feet or more, how does one get a trellis or the like that high. I have a large garden but to try and find something that will go that high is a bit of a problem. Do they have to grow up, can they not grow along. i.e. along the fence ? ( south facing)
That brings me onto the 'dwarf Plants' (see links to this post) has anyone tried them and do they work and are they viable ?

Again reading this post, it seems I need to grow my first hops this year to enable me to get a suitable crop next year when I hope I will have enough knowhow and confidence to have a go at mans brewing.

So any tips for an absolute beginner would be much appreciated. Oh, and buy the way, where is the best place to get them, seeing as how I live in Norfolk ?

I think thats about all for the minute, I gotta carry on reading.
:cheers:

Hi

just bought a hop plant from Esentially Hops. I phoned them yesterday and they were quite helpful, and have placed the order today.

I went for cascade. I just do kits, and want something to dry hop some of the kits. Also thought i'd do it for a bit of interest.

I've no idea how to grow hops, how to harvest hops that are 15 feet in the air, or how to dry hops once harvested, but I'll try and wing it.

Someone should do a How To on the subject!

Bit of help please gents.

Can't believe how big the fuggle is getting with this lovely weather, I swear in the last week its gone from below my knee to nearly six foot, well probably more as its intertwined with the trellising.

Question is this is its second year, last year I just let it do its own thing knowing I wouldn't get much of a harvest. So this year I let three stems sprout and have supported, after checking it again today I find three more shoots coming up from the rhizome. Do I just keep cutting the new ones down and let the plant put its energy into the the three strong 6ft stems?

Cheers me dears :cheers:

I would cut the new sprouts down to the ground and let it concentrate on the main growth.

On a 3rd year fuggles plant and have 2 new sprouts hiding in the middle, and just cut them to the ground this morning.
:thumb:

I was just going to let mine go this year and see how much they produced? Should I be thinking of cutting back? :wha:
Mine are second Year and gone mad already

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

Might be a silly question but how do you buy something from willingham nurseries? I can't find anywhere that says add to cart.

Smokey
You have to email them in the bottom to get updates on whats available so I take it you can then contact them back once you know what they have.

Smok3y said:
Might be a silly question but how do you buy something from willingham nurseries? I can't find anywhere that says add to cart.
You have to click on the name of each hop in the availability list, if they are ready a yellow add to cart tab appears, looks like at the moment there is only santiam , northdown available. I got my cobb and earlybird last month and others were ready but now they are not showing available so maybe they sell out quick.
I was on their mailing list but wasnt contacted when hops were ready ,had to keep checking myself.
The hops that arrived were in good condition ,not just roots but growing plants about 2 inches high.
I would suggest buying what they have ready now as there seems to be a big demand and they are quite cheap.
Good luck, Spud.

For those of those around NW Leics; Sunnyside Garden Centre (between Ibstock and Ellistown) have Prima Donna (First Gold) dwarf (2 - 3m height) hops in big pots in their "Sale" section at £3-50. They're obviously last year's, but the one I picked-up had 4 or 5 good shoots and has been looking happy in a hurriedly created second hop bed.

Adding my two 'penneth worth to the foregoing posts, if you've got the space for a hop bine, I really would recommend having a go. Several years down the line, my North West Leicestershire Golding bine delivers the most excellent aroma hops.

Looking forward to a First Gold harvest in a year or so, and sampling what sounds to be a very useful hop.

I have a hop plant that is a cutting from a friend that has them growing wild in her garden. How would i identify them as the type is not known and how would you work out the AA from any harvest? :cheers:

battwave said:
For those of those around NW Leics; Sunnyside Garden Centre (between Ibstock and Ellistown) have Prima Donna (First Gold) dwarf (2 - 3m height) hops in big pots in their "Sale" section at £3-50. They're obviously last year's, but the one I picked-up had 4 or 5 good shoots and has been looking happy in a hurriedly created second hop bed.

Adding my two 'penneth worth to the foregoing posts, if you've got the space for a hop bine, I really would recommend having a go. Several years down the line, my North West Leicestershire Golding bine delivers the most excellent aroma hops.

Looking forward to a First Gold harvest in a year or so, and sampling what sounds to be a very useful hop.

Seems your so Close Staunton Harold estate has a nusery and they to have hops Northdown and Target if you want more. I may pop over to sunny side this weekend

muddydisco said:
battwave said:
Seems your so Close Staunton Harold estate has a nusery and they to have hops Northdown and Target if you want more. I may pop over to sunny side this weekend

Cheers for that; might even be an acceptable outing to Mrs Battwave in the current garden refurbishment season :whistle:

Latest posts

Back