Hop Growing in the garden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e1d65aa4c2ad583856f5af3930f21e70.jpg

afcbccdf5b9bf3837117dff8a95858dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're looking good..! Mine's only half that size. In my defence it was a late purchase this year, so hopefully all good next year.
As an aside, I keep finding catapillers on mine. Two more today..! Comma butterfly ones. They absolutely LOVE hop plants. Anyone else found any yet?

I'm looking into this with some trepidation. My back garden is huge and a notorious suntrap so i'd probably run some some of them around the back near the leylandii (which will be chopped to encourage plant growth).

My only query is getting particular strains - i'd like to get my hands on some West Coast hops (Chinook, Columbus, Amarillo etc.) but presume these are nigh impossible to come across? If so will fire in some Cascade plants early next year.

Any tips on where to get rhizomes from?

you could try here

http://www.willingham-nurseries.co.uk/hop3.html

wow, flyerstarters are off!!! were they planted this year? Mine haven't started budding but I only planted in april

wow, flyerstarters are off!!! were they planted this year? Mine haven't started budding but I only planted in april

Hi Chuffer, this went in the ground Nov 2014. Last years barely got 3ft high... Apparently the first year is mainly for root growth.

I've got poor thick clay soil, haven't fed or really watered. I'm amazed it's done so well!

Hi Chuffer, this went in the ground Nov 2014. Last years barely got 3ft high... Apparently the first year is mainly for root growth.

I've got poor thick clay soil, haven't fed or really watered. I'm amazed it's done so well!

ah phew, that's a relief!!

my first golds are at a similar stage (first year growth) but the cascade are a bit behind (flowers, no cones yet). Took a pic but its rubbish so will need to take another tomorrow. Sorry for recent inactivity on the forum...summer = fishing/drinking beer/growing chilies but am looking forward to next seasons first brew in October.

My wife and I are moving to Kent and we are looking at the area we want to move to. We were driving around many winding country lanes and spotted through the hedgerows a hop farm!

We went to the farm and had a conversation with a friendly lady and asked her advice on growing hops in the garden. This may be obvious for a lot of you, and some of it I did already know, but here's what she said:

Hops need a lot of sun and water, and they will only grow flowers on areas of the bine which receive enough sunlight. So stringing up the bones so they get maximum sunlight will optimise flower growth. It's important as well to only let 3 or 4 bines grow out the rhizome, and all other shoots should be cut back. The cut shoots are edible, cook with a lot of garlic because they are very bitter.

Wind the bine around string/trellis in the direction the plant follows the sun.

This is not a be all-end all guide to grow hops, but interesting to hear what "the professionals" have to say about growing them at home.

She was carrying a huge load of Phoenix ready to sell, stank heavenly.

Welcome to my home county jceg316. You may have spotted wild hops growing in hedgrows while you were driving round the lanes. They're organic and free but you won't know what variety they are...good for a pot-luck brew though... (probably EKG's)...:grin:

Welcome to my home county jceg316. You may have spotted wild hops growing in hedgrows while you were driving round the lanes. They're organic and free but you won't know what variety they are...good for a pot-luck brew though... (probably EKG's)...:grin:

I couldn't spot any from the car, but next year I will definitely go back and have a look for some growing wildly and make a mystery brew from them.

My wife is starting an educational permaculture farm. She's very aware that hops will be one of the crops!

finally got a proper pic of my First Gold's and Cascade. Cascade is lagging a bit but I'm really happy with the yield given its the first year. Have watered regularly and fed with high potash plant food. Hopefully there will be no disasters between now and harvest time.

P1030937.jpg

P1030936.jpg

I couldn't spot any from the car, but next year I will definitely go back and have a look for some growing wildly and make a mystery brew from them.

My wife is starting an educational permaculture farm. She's very aware that hops will be one of the crops!

OK...I confess...I had to google 'Permaculture'. :whistle: "...of protracted and thoughtful observation" .... sounds like a trip to the local pub...:thumb:

My saaz are almost ready to pick. They are quite papery and my hands smell very nice after touching them.

Whereabouts are you?

Saaz and Hallertau will be my hop choice when it comes to purchase, I'm just worried that they won't grow. I'm 54° latitude.

Whereabouts are you?

Saaz and Hallertau will be my hop choice when it comes to purchase, I'm just worried that they won't grow. I'm 54° latitude.

These are in Stanmore, NW London, so somewhere between 51° and 52°. However, I'm also growing hops in Co. Mayo, which is a lot closer to 54°. They grew, but not very well. However, this more to do with they don't get nearly enough sunlight as they are in a forest area, and the soil is terrible. If we planted them on the south facing slope in a load of good soil I'd probably be harvesting them in a couple of weeks.

You can increase the sunlight on the hop by having reflective surfaces which reflect light onto the hop.

I need to start growing my own. How big are the plants now. Any pictures from further out.

It's difficult to take a picture of the Saaz because I've let it grow more naturally than I should have, and there are many very long bines growing all over the place. They are fully grown to just under 20 foot or so, and have wrapped around my other plants in the garden, which my wife isn't too happy about.

If you grow hops good trellising can make growing easier, and if done right will expose more plant to the sun resulting in more flowers.

Latest posts

Back