horlicks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didnt think I would ever find myself looking horlicks up on wikipedia heres what it says -

Unlike many similar drinks Horlicks is not a dry blend of malt extract and milk powders.
In the initial stage of manufacturing milled malted barley and wheat flour are mashed together in hot water where the starch is converted into sugars. To this sugar solution dairy powders are added. The water content is then evaporated off to form a syrup which is dried in vacuum band driers to form a cake. This cake is milled into the finished powder. This is then fortified with vitamins and minerals.

It would make you fall asleep while drinking it!

we know its not malt noww but thats not to say you cant mke beer out of it tho . as the sugars are there just wot will it taste like

Wow so that's why it tastes so good :)
However I expect the milk component would destroy your head and lead to clearing problems - might make a good candidate for a fermented milk drink like Attilla the Hun and his mob used to drink ;)

I'd fancy making something that was like alcoholic horlicks. Not using horlicks but maybe tonnes of flaked oats and barley. Not sure how tho.

the shadow said:
as its malt extract and sugar has any one tryed useing it to make beer with . if so how did it turn out ?
I had exactly the same thought. So, as an experiment, I boiled up 800g of Horlicks in 5 litres on Wednesday night. Hopped with some leftover Citra at 60 minutes, some leftover Hallertauer at 10 minutes (didn't weigh it up, just used up some leftovers that were in my freezer). Cooled it, chucked it in a wee 5L demijohn and pitched some yeast. OG was 1.058 and the wort tasted not dissimilar to a big IPA I started last weekend.
Was frothing like and bubbling like crazy the next morning (about 10 hours) and was still going when I got home from work nine hours after that. Has calmed down a little now, but still bubbling every thirty seconds or so. Smells......like fermenting beer. I'll bottle it after two weeks (assuming constant gravity, which I think is a safe assumption) so tasting day will be 21/11 or thereabouts!
As it's only five litres, was quick to make, and done solely out of curiosity, I won't even care if it's revolting and I have to chuck it out. Can't lose!

the shadow said:
as its malt extract and sugar has any one tryed useing it to make beer with . if so how did it turn out ?

I was thinking along similar lines the other day.

jarenault, Looking forward to the outcome of this. If it works then the missus cant deny me a pit or two to 'help me sleep' before bed. :drink:

Really looking forward to the outcome of this. Such an interesting concept.

Four days in now and the airlock has stopped bubbling. I'll still wait out the two weeks, will check the gravity over a few days in a week's time.

There is a remarkable amount of sediment! About three inches deep. I'm guessing that's mostly from the guar gum in the Horlicks. Smells good though! Colour is a creamy light brown.

Just took the gravity and had a taste (this is ten days in). Gravity is 1.022.
Taste....well.....
It's very potent. Lots of alcohol is evident and the alcohol taste is clean. Other than that...it's very, very sweet. I assume this is the lactose from the whey powder. It's almost sickly sweet. It also has a slight citrusy sourness (that might be from the citra hops). And it has a lot of body; thick and very slightly syrupy, albeit with a nice, silky mouthfeel.
Not undrinkable, but not what I would describe as a "nice beer". It tastes to me like what I might expect a condensed wheat beer to taste like.
From this preliminary taste, it's not a beer I'd go back to in a hurry. Although I'd maybe enjoy it as a novelty sipping beer in a shot glass, I don't fancy taking it in a pint.
I'll wait it out, though. Cold crash it on Sunday night. Bottle it on Wednesday. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

If it's still thick and too sweet I might try it again with less Horlicks. 800g is quite a lot for five litres.

Asalpaws said:
Hmm interesting, how does horlicks compare to DME cost wise?
Slightly more expensive. About £4 for 500g. I'm getting DME for £3.85 from my local homebrew shop.

So, two weeks in the fermenter, a cold crash, and two weeks in the bottle later and...

8205904473_e3cb516e8b_z.jpg

(please excuse the hair on the glass...just noticed it, how embarrassing)

It smells quite hoppy and floral with a hint of sour milk. The sour aroma isn't overpowering, though. Which was a pleasant surprise.
It feels very thick in the mouth, you can almost feel it coating the inside of your mouth like a light syrup. Though it's not quite thick enough that I'd say it was actually syrupy; it's definitely liquid. Perhaps the same level of viscosity as full-fat milk or a big, beefy stout.

And it tastes not too bad!! At least now that my tastebuds have had a chance to get used to the idea! With my first sip I caught myself thinking "well, I'll finish this glass but the rest of the bottle will get chucked down the sink". Now that I'm half-way through I actually want to finish the bottle. It's sweet like a particularly sweet milk stout (that'll be all the lactose), but the hops do offset that a bit, so if I ever do it again I'll add a little more bittering hops. There's a background of sour-milk but, again, it's not overpowering and it tastes unusual rather than revolting.

So, there you go, beer made from horlicks, hops, water and yeast and nothing else. Unusual, but drinkable....pleasant, even, in a strange sort of way.

Mental.

Hilarious, but mental.

Surprising, hilarious, but mental.

Genius (in a mad scientist kind of way), surprising, hilarious, but mental.

But still...

...mostly mental

:thumb:

Back