Housing Discrimination

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
I just came across this video
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8v3Nr_wel0&t=187s[/ame]
And as I commented on it
"There is likely a valid point here about the adverts but the phone call is BS. He calls on behalf of his male neighbour they don't have anything then calls as a female HOMELESS women they still don't have anything and say to call the council. you could use the same calls to say they prioritise the homeless or females but most likely they tell the homeless to call the council."
It then got me thinking in many shared house/flats it could be entirely appropriate to discriminate in adverts on who want want to live with based on religion, sex or sexuality. As you will anyway and its a waste of every ones time not being able to advertise it.
Note current UK law makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race. religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation when it comes to housing.

Note current UK law makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race. religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation when it comes to housing.

Doesn't that rule stand for all things?

I nearly stopped watching when he said "An investigation by the Daily Star" he could have said "An investigation by the Daily Sport" for all the weight that carries.

I hope if there's one thing we can all agree on it's that the chap in that video has the most punchable face in recent years.

I hope if there's one thing we can all agree on it's that the chap in that video has the most punchable face in recent years.

I think your arms would tire long before you stopped having the urge to keep punching. :lol:

Doesn't that rule stand for all things?

Its what is specifically quoted for the Equality Act 2010 Which does not apply to short-term lettings where you normally live elsewhere - for example, holiday apartments, hotels, prisons, hospital wards & care homes. Though other laws mat apply.

But I just went to check and may have made my initial point totally invalid as exemptions apply see:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/h...-count-as-unlawful-discrimination-in-housing/

"Example

Three women share a flat and advertise for a fourth woman to occupy the spare bedroom. All the tenants share a bathroom and kitchen. The flat only has four single bedrooms and so wouldn’t normally be able to accommodate more than six tenants.

As the flat falls within the small premises exception it’s not unlawful discrimination if you can’t rent the room because you’re a man. You wouldn’t be able to complain about sex discrimination in this case.

Example

A Catholic family are looking for someone to rent a spare floor in their three storey house. The tenant will share the kitchen with the family but will have their own bathroom. The house is only big enough to accommodate another household.

This also falls within the small premises exception. It’s not unlawful discrimination if they refuse to let it to you because you’re not a Catholic."
So apologies for raising this in the 1st place.

It's just as well that I haven't got a drum to rent out, cos the only person on the planet who has the qualifying criteria is me.

Latest posts

Back