How bad is bad taste?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With respect to the Grenfell thing, bad taste? Without a doubt, a few people died after all. Arrests made, prosecution to follow if they can decide on which law was broken.
A few years ago, I remember Prince Harry dressing up as Hitler for a fancy dress party. Bad taste? Millions died after all. It was in the papers for a day and forgotten after 5 minutes.
People these days are too quick to jump on the offence bandwagon, it's the same as when someone appears on facebook having shot a deer, then follows a campaign to ruin their lives.
I'm pretty sick of it all tbh.

So to me the best comedy is inclusive ie that we laugh at ourselves.The bonfire video is not - ' that is what they get when they don't pay their rent '!
LTN - must admit long time since I watches it but didn't the 'honky' always come of worse at the end? It poked fun at racism. Probably the same with Alf?
Black humour and outrage humour is great when it is used well but less so when it is just used to hide bigotry and hatred.
"I'm not racist but...."
" it was just a joke" ( that I've been telling for the last 30 years)

Are not an excuse?

since the mid 80s, solidarity, Leah Walesa etc. The iron curtain and greatest threat to us dissolved, we lost our enemy. so the rulers have invented others for us to fear/hate since.
the others are mainly ourselves, or invented versions thereof, "damn snowflakes letting brown people in our country" / "gammons breeding hatred" most of these people don't exist. demonization of poor and disabled, tiny minorities spat at in the street cos of "media outrage"
listen to Harry Leslie Smith
"As a RAF veteran of WW2 I'm not offended by Corbyn not singing #nationalanthem but I am offended by politicians who sell guns to tyrants" or " Instead of wearing a poppy for #Remembrance2018 we should wear our shame because as a human race we've learned nothing since 1918"

shut up and count your blessing and drink your brew

Time for a different opinion I reckon.

I see far more people getting offended by people getting offended, than I do people actually getting offended these days, and been considerably more vocal about it too. So seems these days, the real snowflakes are the poor, downtrodden snowflakes that are those who want to be offensive for the sake of been offensive, but can't because it's no longer deemed appropriate given that we've moved on as a species..

lol

I've never really understood how the answer to being offended was to complain about it to a third party.

Over the years, I've noticed a trend whereby some people take great care to try and make sure that "offensive" remarks or gestures are delivered in a manner that doesn't put them at risk of retribution from their target; but they do make mistakes!

A gentleman (I use the word loosely) once wrote a letter to a friend of mine in which he threatened to kill me. The next day I drove 145 miles, knocked on his door at 7.30am and explained how I was available for him to do what he wanted. After a brief discussion we decided that he wouldn't bother and I stopped being offended. Problem solved.

BTW, the longest distance I have travelled to explain how a remark has offended me stands at 310 miles. Again, the person was surprised to see me and rapidly agreed that his remark was uncalled for.

What these people failed to realise is that beneath my stern exterior beats a heart of sympathy, compassion and understanding.

I fail to see how burning an efigy of grenfell tower on your private bonfire could be considered a crime.
But publishing a video of it might well be.

I fail to see how burning an efigy of grenfell tower on your private bonfire could be considered a crime.
But publishing a video of it might well be.

And that's precisely why it was a crime - see section 4a of the Public Order Act - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64/section/4A

It's OK to think what you like and be as much of a prick as you like as long as you keep it to yourself.

The problem with this law which isn't an issue in this case is that if the person who posted the video did it because they are outraged at the behavour then they are the only person committing a criminal offence when they are opposed to it in the 1st place.

The problem with this law which isn't an issue in this case is that if the person who posted the video did it because they are outraged at the behavour then they are the only person committing a criminal offence when they are opposed to it in the 1st place.
No, as soon as the originator shares the video it becomes an offence.

Last edited:
Back