how do i go about the brew in the bag method for traditional

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termite

Reaction score
hello all i have a reciepe for carlsberg special brew from dave lines book (brewing beers like those you buy)

all mybrewing has just been larger kits.

i know have recieved all the ingredients to make the sbrew, but want to use the brew in the bag methode.

the original way of doing this from the book is boil 15litres of water to 45c stir in ( 5,75lbs larger malt +1.5lbs flaked maize)

raise temp tp 55c leave half hour, then raise to 66c for one and half hours.

then apparently i collect the mash? (i assume this is the malt and maize i have added as above?

then i rinse the mash to get 15 litres of extract .

this i then boil with hops for one and half hours, add more hops and syrup , then (clear wort ) goes into f bin and is topped up with cold water , add yeast when cool.

first up if i used 15 litres of water originally for (malt and maize) why do i need another 15 litres for the (grain extract)

what is clear wort?

what thermometer to use for above?

if using brew in the bag methode ,what is differant from the above process,

and how exactly do i produce the sbrew using b in the bag.

thank you

I'd pop over to the Aussie how-to list for newbies with PDFs etc. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... opic=11694

Then look through similar questions and answers over on Jim's http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... &start=100

Then if you're still unsure on anything pop back here with specific questions.

I'd suggest getting a digital thermometer (around £6 on amazon) but a youngs breweing thermometer will work OK.

And you'll need a boiler for BIAB and a chiller - you don't usually top up with cold water but mash the grains in the full quantity of water and then boil with hops.

Back