How long does a Dunkelweizen take to mature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearmint-wino

Reaction score
I've read that they are ready quickly - my recipe states it is good to cold condition for a week to improve flavours. Well mine's been 'pretty cool' for ever-so-nearly a week and I really fancy gassing it up and having a pint tonight with the footie... :twisted:

I'm I doing it a disservice or should I crack it open? :grin:

heh dont look to me for advice on when to drink :oops: i start drinking mine barely 3 days after it's kegged :lol:

if it were me i'd be sampling it regularly.. for err.... quality control purposes of course :D

I gassed up a bit and despite being way under-carbonated it didn't taste quite ready yet, lovely flavour though but I reckon its got some more smoothing out to do. Will keep ya posted :cool:

Sorry - can't help on that one, maybe steve_flack or Aleman or one of the other experienced brewers can help?

Well I've decided to go for the first proper pint tonight after gassing the keg to 38psi and things are really looking up :cool:
Still needs some carbonation (maybe the corni has a little leak :hmm:) but overall the beer has a lot more life to it than the other night so full steam ahead :party:. If you like your weizen's maltier rather than estery then I'd recommend the recipe, it has surprising body but is also very clean with rich malt and a nice CO2 bite at the front of the tongue :)

Been drinking all day at a lunch - got back home and am going to hit pint #3 of this in a minute :drunk:

Still needs more carbonation though, and I'm feeling too lazy to properly gas up the corni :nono:

I brewed a dunkelweizen @ 1.056 recently. It took 4 weeks (from pitching the yeast) to really hit its stride. Had a bit of a yeasty bite to it before then. I was maturing it pretty cold though.

Its a dark wheat beer, essentially a wheat beer with some roasted malt for the colour, dehusked roasted malt is the order of the day as this tends to be smoother than ordinary roast malt like choc etc.

Back