how long will it keep?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chojo

Reaction score
Hi guys, basically i made a beaverdale red kit and a wilkos red and white kits last june/july put them in the shed and forgot about them on several occasions since them i've thought about bottling them but i'm a lazy sh*te and kept finding excuses to do something else. So they're still on the sediment from the original fermentation all i've done is topped up the airlocks now and then but there have been times when the airlock was dry. Will they be ok? or should i just bin them so i can sell the demi johns as i'm giving up drinking for health reasons but if the wine is ok i can give it as gifts and save myself a few bob!
Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bad news letting the locks dry out, but good chance the CO2 layer protected them.
You gotta taste to find out.

The chances are good. If there's a vinegary taste, you have a DJ of red wine vinegar. Which is not entirely a bad thing!!

I've had airlocks dry out loads of times and I've never had a spoiled wine. I've left booze on the sediment for up to a year with no ill effects. Maybe I've been lucky, and equally maybe there are people on here who have spoiled every wine they have left too long. But I do think the threats which can spoil a wine can be overplayed by some on here.

Thanks for all the help guys, did as you all suggest and tasted them today :pray:... and i guess it's my lucky day coz they all taste fine :party: especially the beaverdale it's fantastic. and also on the plus side my results are back from the docs and i don't have to give up the drink :party: :party: just need to drink in moderation as they say, i wasn't a heavy drinker before so god knows what they expect me to have now lol.

Latest posts

Back