How much orange to add

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, for my next pale I wanted there to be a touch of orange/citrus to the flavour and aroma and so I have carefully selected a hop bill to reflect this that includes Summit, Galaxy, Simcoe, Amarillo and First Gold.

I was wondering if an addition of Orange Peel might also just do the trick.

I note that, in DIY Dog it's recommended that Grapefruit be added to the the kettle/FV in oder to make, Brew Dog's Elvis Juice but no amounts are specified. I was wondering what kind of quantities would be sensible. Are people using the peel from 1, 5, 10 or more grapefruits to make 23L of Elvis Juice? I would prob aim to do something similar or slightly less with mine as nothing too overpowering is desired.

The last 23ltr kit i brewed i put in one grapefruit rind and it had a nice aroma but only a very slight taste, if that's any help? It was just a wilko pale ale or something like that though so no dry hops added

I put in 40g of sour orange peel in a 3g batch.
It was the best beer I have made and when I was in Southend this week I bought another 3 bags.

I put in 40g of sour orange peel in a 3g batch.
It was the best beer I have made and when I was in Southend this week I bought another 3 bags.

40g eh? How many oranges did you need for that?

40g eh? How many oranges did you need for that?

I cheated and bought a packet from an Asian store in Southend.
�£1.99 for 80g it is dehydrated,
Tastes great in Vodka too as it strips the flavour and colouring out

Back