How to be happy in 2021 (despite everything)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This content is pinched from an article in the Guardian - with a few changes

1. You've got to stay silly

2. Do something that makes you feel sexy

3. Do a job you love, even if it doesn't pay well

4. Don't fear failure

5. Embrace suffering

6. Make a difference

What have I missed?

i have some issues with the current number 5.
i'd suggest that more folk should work on acceptance.
not implying it should be a replacement for current number 5 or an addition to the list.

3. Is crucial! There's nothing worse than doing a job you hate

Having recently got out of a job I hated and into one where I don't dread hearing the alarm going off in the morning I can honestly say I totally agree.

Unfortunately many of us are trapped in jobs we hate with little opportunity of getting out of the rut, I feel sorry for people in the position I was in for years all I can say is keep looking and one day you will find something if I could find one at my age there is hope for you all.

Last edited:
Having recently got out of a job I hated and into one where I don't dread hearing the alarm going off in the morning I can say I totally agree.

Unfortunately many of us are trapped in jobs we hate with little opportunity of getting out of the rut, I feel sorry for people in the position I was in for years all I can say is keep looking and one day you will find something if I could find one at my age thee is hope for all.
CT - we are foster carers for the Local Authority Children's Services

I am lucky enough to have my ideal job

Ok

1. You mean slowly dissolve into a pit of insanity like a glorious Vincent Price Hammer horror? Help me out here was it the fall of the house of usher or the pit and the pendulum? I get them mixed up.

So 2. Sexy? Jesus Christ I don’t think I ever feel that lol. I usually say I have a ‘radio face’.

3. seriously?! Is this like an American sitcom or something? Lol I learnt today that a perfect description of my job is ‘ennui’. Great word.

4. my job is literally to repair things that have already failed. It’s impossible to fear failure because if I can’t fix it it’s still ****** lol.

5. Oh I embrace suffering alright. Every time I see The Monkey on the news telling me yet another bloody lockdown and the grimace on his face. Oh yes, I embrace that suffering right there on his face REAL GOOD.

6. The entire of last year was ‘a difference’ man lol

Bloody Guardian. The best thing about that is the recipes from that guy John Wright. Cracking ginger wine recipe and from the sounds of it a cracking parsnip one too that I’m gonna do this year.

Very good ideas. Especially about the job, I'm in one I truly love, and it is not that well paid if I move to private sector. But friends who did hate theirs job.

I would add one more:
7. At least once a week do a small act of kindness for a stranger - will make you feel better

Definitely agree on the job front, I'm a cleaner with mild OCD so I love my job, I basically get paid to tidy up every day!

I'm not too sure about number two though, even Mrs Druss occasionally remarks along the lines that I could well be an escaped gorilla doing a very passable human impersonation, so me being 'sexy' is just some mind warping, twilight zone, weirdness.

1. 100% of the time I'm always 1.

2. All the time, but mrs DOJ isn't always amused

3. 1 & 2 take up all of my time so not chance of 3...4... etc.

4. I have typically had this opinion at work for a long time now. Some will sweat, work long hours unpaid, do unpaid weekends etc.to make sure a job gets delivered on time.

Don't get me wrong, I put the effort in at work and always do a few hours unpaid overtime every week, but learned many years ago not to fret and take it as it comes. If the job isn't done, it isn't done.

My lesson was when I was about 23 or 24 and there was something urgent to go out. I was working late into the evening on a Friday and my director was there too. He came over and said to me, "I'm off to go and watch the footy now. Finish that off and send it out when you're done". That was it for me. If the director isn't bothered to put the effort in, then nor was I.

I don't see it as failure by me though, just a failure of the company and management.

Remember 5. next time you stub your little toe, haha

Fear of failure is one that holds people back a bit. Sometimes its good to be cautious but you don't get very far without taking a risk or two

That was it for me. If the director isn't bothered to put the effort in, then nor was I.

You may think this is BS but one of the reasons i like my new job (see post #6) is the fact we are a small team and when we are short staffed the boss does the dirty work along with the rest of us its the first time in my working life when i have had proper respect for my manager.

You may think this is BS but one of the reasons i like my new job (see post #6) is the fact we are a small team and when we are short staffed the boss does the dirty work along with the rest of us its the first time in my working life when i have had proper respect for my manager.

The place where I work now is more like that too. My boss is of a similar mindset to me and he agrees if it's not done, then it's not done.

Latest posts

Back