How to pour a beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizz head1982

Regular.
Reaction score
I used to work in a bar when I was younger. I can pull a pint. However with home brew I either get it just right or I gain too much head making me slow down and getting a big dollop of yeast in my glass or some how seemingly when everything is fine, some yeast sneaks in...

I dont mind drinking the yeast but it really over rules all other flavours and destroys the crispness of flavours...

So whats the best technique?

I pour gently into a glass jug as I can pour continuously without stopping. This has a couple of advantages: if the beer's lively I don't have to stop because I'm in danger of over flowing, and I can use a smaller glass (e.g. at meal times)

The previous answers I would agree with too, but if your beer is a little over-carbonated then try chilling it as gas will vent much more slowly reducing any yeast lift due to this particular phenomenon. I assume that you are not already doing that as the style may not lend itself to being served cold. However, decanting is a good way as you can let your beer 'warm up' before you drink it if the style doesn't lend itself to chilling. Interestingly in Australia they produce a bottle conditioned beer named Coopers pale ale and there are two opposing schools of thought on how it should be quaffed. One says gently roll the bottle on its side to mix in the yeast, whilst the other suggests pouring it quickly and steadily from the bottle in a single motion to avoid disturbing the sediments. I drank it both ways and to be honest I am such a miser the yeast got tipped in every time following the initial curiosity. The beer has enough flavour, and so little sediment, not to be markedly modified in flavour anyway: so I didn't really get what all the fuss was about.

ene8y2eq.jpg

Cab was it these? I ended up pouring normally but stopping shy when the yeast got near the neck :-)

agree with above use a large jug

pour it in carefully leaving any unwanted stuff in the bottle
from there you can pour to get desired head
:thumb:

I have found that I can pour in any way I like if I leave the beer to clear before bottling!
After 2 weeks in the FV it's usually pretty clear, especially if the OG isn't too high. If it's not looking drinkably clear by then I will leave it up to another week. It doesn't matter that it's sitting on the sediment for 3 weeks, it won't spoil. I use a teaspoon of Irish moss for the last 10 minutes of the boil, which is a big help to clarity. :drink:

Agree with all of the above, just pour gently, I also find that if you put the bottles in the Fridge for 24hrs before drinking then pouring is made easier.

MMMmmm, I really didn't want something else to wash up but the jug method seems to be the answer. Ive already sent about 20 beers to my mfamily for drinking together at Christmas, so I will try out the method then as they will not enjoy a pint of yeast.... :lol:

As regards the clarity of the beer before bottling, I have started crash chilling all my brews to about 2 degrees for 2 or 3 days, then transferring to the bottling bucket. I find this has a massive effect on clarity.

Its really just the yeast from the 2nd ferment in the bottle. I also find if I have to stop pouring for a few seconds and I keep the bottle at the same angle the beer has a see saw motion which erodes the sediment into to the beer, putting the beer down also has a similar effect but gets even more sediment in your beer. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Back