how to wire up a temp controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd prefer it if we had our own how-to on this forum rather than linking to another forum however we don't yet - if anyone would like to do a better job of this themselves, please do so or let us know :thumb:

I'd like to point out a couple of issues with the guide.
1) I don't like how he has used hot-melt glue to hold the sockets in to the top of the box. It would have been much better to use a surface mount pattress box screwed securely to the plastic enclosure so that it could not be accidentally pulled out.
2) I see no sign of strain relief on the mains inlet flex. Over time the outer sheath could pull back exposing the cables and potentially they could be pulled out of the connector block.

Please do not mess with mains if you are not going to do a proper job - life is short enough already :roll:

If you don't happen have all those parts lying about spare then by the time you have bought them all separately and paid postage, you may well have been better off purchasing a ready made safe version from our sponsor Cedaronics (click on the temperature controllers image in the header). :thumb:

my apologise if I overstepped the mark There was some recent questions re these controllers and I thought it may assist those struggling with the electrics

piddledribble said:
my apologise if I overstepped the mark There was some recent questions re these controllers and I thought it may assist those struggling with the electrics

No probs PD :thumb:
It has some useful info - just don't want anyone getting hurt :cheers:

Always worth reading the instructions that come with your temp controllers though.

All mine (4 of them) have the heating switch on pins 5 and 6, and the cooling on 7 and 8.

If you followed the wiring diagram in this how to your heating and cooling circuits would come on exactly when you don't want them too.

I totally agree with site admin.

Apart from the downright dangerous lack of strain relief and the use of hot glue to secure the sockets(!) both of which will ultimately result in a very dangerous piece of equipment hidden behind the covers;

Following a 3rd party wiring diagram is a dangerous business. If you can't follow from the enclosed instructions - the warning signs are flashing. Don't DIY it!

It was immediately clear to me how to wire it from the enclosed instructions and I'm not even a spark. I design build KNX Building controls panels for (a small part of ) my job so this was childs play.

If it isn't obvious - buy pre-made. It's not worth it!

I'm not doing a tutorial because those who should be doing it don't need one, and those who shouldn't shouldn't.

Final point, I am surprised that the equipment people use in this application isn't IP rated, for example Electrim TE25 heater plate should be water resistant at least.

Back