I am looking for a "Safetycork" for wine bottles that used to exist

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephena

Reaction score
I am looking for a Safetycork, originally produced in the 1970's-80's by
E.Sandelands Engineers Plastic Products
Address: Crisp Cottage 1 Crow Lane Dalton, Wigan, WN8 7RX

They are no longer around, but Hambleton Bard Ltd have used the same name for their bung for demi-johns.

The original SafetyCork was for Wine bottles, (I would like to have inserted a picture here, but this site only allows URL's).
It consists of a plastic stopper with a hole in the top, surrounded by a elastic band, which releases the pressure if there is any secondary fermentation in the bottle.
The Bottle is stored upright, but the stopper can be replaced by a solid one, after a month or two, and it can be lain down normally.

I find it extremely useful, saving on burst bottles of home made wine and I need to get some more.
I have tried Google searching, including ebay and amazon to no avail. I contacted Hambleton Bard who initially told me they made it, then when I checked with the retail store they suggested, it did not exist!
I can find no trace of the company, or even its history, but I do have the original instructions!

Click on your link, then click on the image so it loads. Then right click, copy image address (or just copy the url from the address bar). Now use the image icon on here, switch to the url option, and paste the url you just copied into the box, like so:-

safetycork-2.jpg

Hope this helps. athumb..

Click on your link, then click on the image so it loads. Then right click, copy image address (or just copy the url from the address bar). Now use the image icon on here, switch to the url option, and paste the url you just copied into the box, like so:-

safetycork-2.jpg

Hope this helps. athumb..
I did all of that then I got this image needs to be authorised!

If anyone has some that they are not using, I would like to have them.
The Chinese do not seem to have caught on that there is a great market for these items, I don't know if they were ever patented (I could not find a reference).
They do make solid plastic stoppers and sell in batches of 24, so I don't think making these would be harder.
There is nothing worse than going to the "cellar" and finding a flood of gunge and a broken bottle!

Latest posts

Back