I cocked my order up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Ninja

Large Member
Reaction score
Oops! I've accidentally ordered 25kg of lager malt instead of Maris Otter.

Can I use this in ale recipes and if so what will the difference be?

It's a right pain to send it back and re-order the Maris Otter.

Terry.

It`ll be fine - I think it may just be kilned a bit lighter? But I may be wrong, you could order some wheat malt and do a 50:50 wheat brew or order some kolsch yeast and some hops like tettnang and saaz and do a lovely light hoppy kolsch brew for the summer - :drink:

As the sun is shining and i`m off work on holiday for a week that sounds very tempting :whistle:

Cheers Rick.

I hope I can use it as it's gonna be a bind getting it back to them.

Anyone else have experience of using lager malt as a beer base?

Terry.

Who's the manufacturer? Some of the naming conventions used by maltsters can be misleading. One maltsters lager malt could be another maltsters pale malt.

I'm sure lager malt is more or less the same nowadays, years ago you had to **** about with the mash using different temps....

Ok, so it's Baird's pilsner lager malt.

As others mentioned, it will be lighter and cleaner tasting. When building your recipes, if you bump up your specialty grains a tiny bit, this will compensate fine.

The nice thing is that this base malt would be fantastic for a lot of belgian ales (which don't taste quite right with MO). With warmer (fermentation) weather on its way, I'd be tempted to grab some T58 yeast and start brewing up some nice belgian blondes.

Long and short of it, your lager malt will work fine in your ale recipes, but it can also do some other things that MO can't do as well.

Latest posts

Back