Mashing at 96C by mistake!! HELP!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bugger! Ballsed up my brew, do I just chuck it? Brewing an IPA AG kit from Malt Miller, set the mash to 67C for an hour, then left it. Come back after 40 mins and I've cocked up the all in one settings and it's been set at 97C! I've set it back to 67C and it's obviously now dropping.. But will the resultant brew be worth continuing with, or am I better just ditching it now?
It's a verdant lightbulb ipa clone
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/verdant-lightbulb-pale-ale/

Did it actually reach 97C or was that the thermostat setting. Have you got a separate thermometer you can test the mash temperature with?
You could leave it for an hour and then do an iodine test (if you've got any iodine solution) if it gives a blue/black result then then all the saccharification enzymes have been denatured by the high temperature. The way I see it, you've got three options: Use an enzyme- eg, add amyloglucosidase and mash at 60C; mix half of your mash with more malt and mash again at the correct temperature. This way, you'll end up with about three times as much beer as you intended; finally, chuck it and start again. If you haven't got the iodine or enzyme already you really haven't got time to order it through the post as the mash will start going off within the next few hours.

It was def at 97C when I came back to it. No idea how long it had taken to reach that temp, so I don't know how long it had been there. Prob about 20 mins I think!
I'd gone to the effort to get spotless water too, and my first go with the additions for that! 😭
Waste of time continuing?

Yes, it is probably a waste of time to keep going.

Although I would be curious to hear what happens if you do. I would imagine it would be a starchy mess, but who knows maybe it converted in a very short time.

Pre boil temp adjusted SG is around 1.038. Target post boil is 1.045. So I'll probably hit that at least. But will flavours be completely off?
No one will know but now you have to follow through and find out!

Or you can save your hops and yeast, and money, and call the grains sunk costs and just replace them. It may be ok but it also likely may not.

Pre boil temp adjusted SG is around 1.038. Target post boil is 1.045. So I'll probably hit that at least. But will flavours be completely off?
Do it and report back the results the science says its FU£$ED but go with it as you have got some sugars :mad: 1.038 maybe just make it into a possible Pale with cheap hops and a standard yeast so not too many pennies involved and save the rest of the kit for another attempt you will just have to replace the grains

You 'could' buy enzymes...

Better... Run the mash at 69c to get the flavour.
There will be little or no conversion.

Pop some sugar in in too make up the sg.

Carry on then, boil and hop etc.

It will be beer. Perhaps not quite the same though. Defo recoverable.

Last edited:
Bugger! Ballsed up my brew, do I just chuck it? Brewing an IPA AG kit from Malt Miller, set the mash to 67C for an hour, then left it. Come back after 40 mins and I've cocked up the all in one settings and it's been set at 97C! I've set it back to 67C and it's obviously now dropping.. But will the resultant brew be worth continuing with, or am I better just ditching it now?
It's a verdant lightbulb ipa clone
Some conversion has already happened.. What temp did you dough in at?

Last edited:
Can I have a go ...

I'd go along with @An Ankoù's early reply ... Has the mash actually reached 97C? Unless you were stirring like crazy, certainly not. If you were using a recirculating system, it'll get nearer, but probably still miles short. No-one has asked what style of mashing equipment you're stuck with?

I do recirculate and may set the "mash-out" for 75C. In 30 minutes, the mash won't have reached 70C (but the thermostat says it's up to temperature in a few minutes). A lot of complete b****** is presumed about raising the temperature of a mash once it's mixed. 40 minutes? You'd be pushed to get about 20L of clean water from 65C to 97C in that time.

Some minor peripheral damage can be expected; you probably won't have an "IPA" as expected. But throw it away ... don't be daft!

Lesson learned!
But have you? Sounds like you've fabricated a sort of answer in your head and you will go with that.

Okay ... so I am likely to do that as well (fabricate doubtful answers in me 'ead). But it's always worth testing those answers for credibility! Especially when going with the wrong "answer" costs you money.

(I think that's @MashBag-isque philosophy too?).

The main thing that would make it terminal would be tannin extraction or burnt flavour from heating grain husks, but a quick taste of the first running would reveal the answer. Any amount of conversion would result in beer of some form.

I always recommend tasting first running, pre-boil, post-boil wort etc. Getting used to what each stage tastes like, is a good way of checking whether accidents like these have had a detrimental effect. And reassuring even when brewday go to plan.

But have you? Sounds like you've fabricated a sort of answer in your head and you will go with that.

Okay ... so I am likely to do that as well (fabricate doubtful answers in me 'ead). But it's always worth testing those answers for credibility! Especially when going with the wrong "answer" costs you money.

(I think that's @MashBag-isque philosophy too?).

It depends on the lesson... I have learned more about how the Klarstein controller works.. but maybe not what a 97C mash beer tastes like!

I have a kalrstein and I found last brew that although the integral thermometer was reading 65, the temp of the water after I had pulled a few litres through the tap was up to 70. Not sure if this is reflecting the mash temperature accurately, any ideas?

For clarity: I had the grains in a bag at the time, temp of water was measured using thermometers which all agreed with the integral thermometer at strike temp, and readings were taken 15, 20 minutes into the mash

No big surprise. I think the thermometer must be built into the base, and the heat plate will probably effect that. I'll have a look and compare temps with a manual reading when I go again today.

Latest posts

Back